another newb question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skor

Reaction score
if i have a 7 gal fermentor bucket and 6 gal carboy and i want to make a small batch like 2 gal will there be an issue with using larger stuff?

Not during the primary ferment but the secondary would cause oxidization so you would need to rack to Two 1 gallon vessels.

The fermenter would probably not be a problem, but you will have an issue when you go to secondary fermentation. There would be an awful lot of air space between the wine level and the bung/airloctk. I would try to get something smaller in place of your 6 gallon carboy. Maybe you could find a few 1 gallon jugs.

skor said:
if i have a 7 gal fermentor bucket and 6 gal carboy and i want to make a small batch like 2 gal will there be an issue with using larger stuff?

I believe it's ok to do primary ferment with a lot of head space, but after that it would be best to limit the space. Like getting some 1 gal. Jugs to secondary and finish up in.

Skor

1.Go to the liquor store and find a few gallon jugs of wine.

2. Quickly drink them.

3. Enjoy your new 1 gallon carboys. (you will have to buy the proper sized bungs and a few more air locks)

I've also picked up several 1 gallon empty wine jugs from my local recycling center.

Most LHBS also sell 1G jugs. Sometimes it ain't worth drinking the wine out of those 1G jugs so why pay for it! :)

Latest posts

Back