Another MLF question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

homer

Reaction score
In the process of finishing two buckets of the frozen 2007 Cabernet from Midwest, squeezing netted me 6 gallons plus a dab. Midwest sent 2 large packages of liquid MLB, these are 5" X 7" plastic envelopes filled with liquid MLB (I guess), the packages say each one is enough for 5 Gallons of wine, I have two packages and 6 gallons of wine. Do I use 1 and go light or overdose and use 2, why can't things be simple? bk

IMO, if your MLF conditions are ideal---proper acidity, proper temperature, etc.--then you should be okay with just one. If you're not going to be doing another MLF soon then you may as well go ahead and use both since MLB may expire before you need it.

Fred

Does anybody test to see if the MLF is done, or give it 6 to 8 weeks and hope for the best? bk

I used to perform paper chromotography, but this is a real pain. Today, I simply taste the wine. If it is getting softer, then MLF is progressing.

I used the Accuvin Malic Acid tests on my first batch, but they were really hard to read. I switched to chromatography. I'm way too new to this addiction to taste the wine to see if it is done. I like to see the results. chromatography is pretty cool, but a little stinky! You need a well ventilated area to perform the test!

Yup, PC is a real pain in the A$$.

I do not think is terms of it being complete, just weather or not I have gotten my desired results. If the wine softens to my expectations, then the MLB has done it's job but may not be complete.

This is not a problem for me as I always age my wines for 2 years and introduce MLB rather early on.

johnT.

This is not a problem for me as I always age my wines for 2 years and introduce MLB rather early on.

johnT.

John T - You said you introduce MLB rather early. I've heard of people introducing MLBs during the primary. Is this the time you introduce?

Back