Other Another kit ?, Noir, Merlot, Amarone

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wineforfun

Still Trying To Make The Perfect Wine and Now Tryi
Reaction score
So I am not a big kit guy but usually make 1 per year just to keep some non-commercial reds available.
With that said, I have only made two kits, RJS Winery Series OVZ and RJS Winery Series Super Tuscan.
I was thinking about doing a Pinot Noir, but then see everyone rant and rave about the Amarone. And then there is the high praise for the Eclipse Stag Merlot.
As you can see I have only done RJS kits. I am open to other brands but would like to stay with a higher end kit as I have had good luck so far with them.
Thoughts?
I know it is personal preference, just looking for opinions.

Also, the two kits I have done I bought from FVW. It appears Label Peelers doesn't sell RJS. I was looking at Brew & Wine Supply and see they have free shipping over $50. Anywhere else I should be looking?

RJS kits may be a little different from Winexper but the high end kits make good wine.

You can't go wrong with the CC Showcase or RJS Winery Series kit. Haven't found a bad one yet, and I do kits exclusively. WE Selection with grape skins seems to be hit or miss. Depending on shipping and product selected, FVW, Label Peeler, and Brew and Wine Supply are all great options.

Ok, thanks to all.

I will get something figured out in the next month as I want to get it shipped before the snow is flying up here.

I highly recommend the RJS Carmenere. It has grape skins and oak chips (I think chips, it's been 9 months). It is really smoothing out. I am NOT one who likes "a hint of saddle leather and tobacco" and it has none of that. :D

I just took a glass out of the carboy using my new air space eliminator. It is an RJS Restricted Quantity aglianico. I put two buckets of pressed vino Superiore Italian Sangiovese grape skins in it (@4 gallons volume) best kit I have ever made! Do you make wine from fresh grapes? If so, coincide the varietal with the kit and you can not go wrong.

I highly recommend the RJS Carmenere. It has grape skins and oak chips (I think chips, it's been 9 months). It is really smoothing out. I am NOT one who likes "a hint of saddle leather and tobacco" and it has none of that. :D

Thanks, will keep that in mind. I thought I read where the Carmenere was a "thinner" red.

Do you make wine from fresh grapes? If so, coincide the varietal with the kit and you can not go wrong.

No sir, haven't got to that point yet. Hopefully someday.
Mostly make fruit and specialty wines but like to make 1 kit per year also to have some dry reds on hand.

ColemanM; Do you make wine from fresh grapes? If so said:
I am 100% agree with this statement .

Wineforfun :
Just buy one lug of grapes . Make wine from grapes and use some of it for your kit . Not much to loose .

Thanks, will keep that in mind. I thought I read where the Carmenere was a "thinner" red.

Gosh, I don't think so! This Carmenere and the Root 1 Carmenere that introduced me to that varietal are full bodied in my book.

Here's what the RJS description says:
Chile Carmenère - Cellar Classic Winery Series
Full-bodied, this wine will tempt you with cherries and strawberries on the nose followed through with dates and chocolate on the palate. Fermented on GenuWine Winery Grape Skins and toasted oak, this wine can be consumed relatively young, although will benefit with age.

Wine Specs
Varietal: Carmenère
Sweetness: Dry
Oak: Medium
Body: Full
Labels IncludedYes
Grape SkinsGenuWine Winery Crushed Grape Skins

For a long time, everyone thought that the Carmenere growing in South America (mostly Chile) was Merlot. It is basically as full-bodied as Merlot.

Besides South America, it is still grown in small quantities in Bordeaux, mostly Cahors. I have had a few, not many, but only a few wines from Cahors. They are definitely NOT thin! :D

@TemperanceOwl and @sour_grapes, That is good to hear. I was thinking it was more along the lines of a Pinot Noir. I may have to give it a go. Too many choices.

Tho styles/tastes vary, I've been told that Amarone, being a very complex wine, benefits most with extended ageing,, "plan on 2 yrs for best results". I currently have a newly fermented CA bucket settling in for the long haul. Don't know what to expect, but ready for something good in a couple of years!!

Back