Another grommet in bucket thread...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello everyone! Just started my first ever batch of wine this morning, a Pinot noir. I was being so careful and double checking everything I did. Got to the last step, put the lid on the bucket and put the airlock in. And as the title suggests, the grommet fell in lol. This was even after a practice run putting the airlock in.

I've read other threads how this isn't too big of a deal since everything was sanitized thoroughly. I set the airlock in the hole and sealed around it with masking tape, which appears to have sealed pretty good. Any thoughts if this will work for now?

Hello everyone! Just started my first ever batch of wine this morning, a Pinot noir. I was being so careful and double checking everything I did. Got to the last step, put the lid on the bucket and put the airlock in. And as the title suggests, the grommet fell in lol. This was even after a practice run putting the airlock in.

I've read other threads how this isn't too big of a deal since everything was sanitized thoroughly. I set the airlock in the hole and sealed around it with masking tape, which appears to have sealed pretty good. Any thoughts if this will work for now?

The grommet in the bucket should be no big deal if it was sanitized, you can always scoop it out with a sanitized strainer if it bothers you to know that it's in there.

The lid on the bucket with the taped in place airlock is not necessary. A loose lid sitting on top with the airhole blocked to prevent anything from falling in is all that is needed. Many folks just use a towel or a cheesecloth, you just need to prevent dust, bugs, dirt, dogs, cats, etc. from getting in there. Once you get to the point where you are stirring your must and / or punching down a few times a day, you'll be super happy that you don't need to snap and airlock that lid every time. Additionally, bucket lids are notorious for not being airtight, and therefore the airlocks don't bubble, and new winemakers get concerned about that. Opening the bucket and looking in is all of the confirmation that you'll need as fermentation gets rolling along..............

The grommet in the bucket should be no big deal if it was sanitized, you can always scoop it out with a sanitized strainer if it bothers you to know that it's in there.

The lid on the bucket with the taped in place airlock is not necessary. A loose lid sitting on top with the airhole blocked to prevent anything from falling in is all that is needed. Many folks just use a towel or a cheesecloth, you just need to prevent dust, bugs, dirt, dogs, cats, etc. from getting in there. Once you get to the point where you are stirring your must and / or punching down a few times a day, you'll be super happy that you don't need to snap and airlock that lid every time. Additionally, bucket lids are notorious for not being airtight, and therefore the airlocks don't bubble, and new winemakers get concerned about that. Opening the bucket and looking in is all of the confirmation that you'll need as fermentation gets rolling along..............

Thank you for the quick reply. Seems like everything will be ok then, I'll just leave the grommet in there for now.

Got to the last step, put the lid on the bucket and put the airlock in. And as the title suggests, the grommet fell in lol. This was even after a practice run putting the airlock in.

And a tip for the future, if you continue to use airlocks in grommets: You probably figure out by now, but...put the airlock in the grommet BEFORE you put the lid on the bucket. :)

And a tip for the future, if you continue to use airlocks in grommets: You probably figure out by now, but...put the airlock in the grommet BEFORE you put the lid on the bucket. :)

Yes, I discovered this method from searching forums for advice. Thank you and I will definitely be doing this from now on.

But Johnd's post may be more useful. Sure IF - IF you intend to seal your primary then certainly insert the airlock into the grommet before you fit the lid but why seal your primary? The yeast will produce enough CO2 to blanket your wine during active fermentation so a loose cloth cover is all you need - and a cloth cover is excellent if you are to add nutrients, fruit and other adjuncts or if you need to stir the wine to ensure fruit is kept submerged or to de-gas your wine.

But Johnd's post may be more useful. Sure IF - IF you intend to seal your primary then certainly insert the airlock into the grommet before you fit the lid but why seal your primary? The yeast will produce enough CO2 to blanket your wine during active fermentation so a loose cloth cover is all you need - and a cloth cover is excellent if you are to add nutrients, fruit and other adjuncts or if you need to stir the wine to ensure fruit is kept submerged or to de-gas your wine.

No argument there. I just cover mine with muslin. But everyone has their own preferred method, so it is a useful tip if (for whatever reason) someone chooses to use airlocks and lids...

I had the same problem many years ago. Got my drill and a spade bit and drilled a larger hole in the lid that accepted a stopper with an airlock. If you ever need to seal the bucket completely, use a non-drilled stopper.

Might be a good idea to fish-out the grommet soon. Rubber (If it's Rubber) and alcohol, don't make a good combination. Smells could develop. Early on in the ferment not a big deal but as the alcohol level rises - it would be better to get the grommet out.

And as others will say - bucket lids are more trouble than good. A good muslin cloth, clean towel etc tied on with cord will do just fine.

Last edited:
Just wanted to post an update and say everything seems to be going fine. Juice had bubbles on top of it yesterday and has been fizzing like crazy today, and it smells wonderful lol.

Thanks again to everyone for the advice and input.

Back