Another Craigslist Score

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sjo

Reaction score
I was not in need of any Carboys at this time. Figured I might be needing another 1 or 2 later this summer. But then a craigslist posting shows up on my phone with a heading "wine bottles $150". Turns out his wine bottles were 30 5 gallon carboys and 25 gallon jugs. They have been sitting in his root cellar for 20 years. They are very dirty but any used carboys get a good scrubbing regardless of how dirty they are. Sweeeeeet:sm

2012-04-01_16-21-24_533.jpg

WOW, five bucks a piece for the carboys and the gallon jugs were a bonus. I would clean them up and relist the carboys for $20 each and the gallon jugs for 1.50 each. Sell what you want and keep the rest. If you still have too many relist or lower the price close to harvest. I'm also at the same point that I don't buy unless I can steal them. Good Luck!

WOW!!!! Great Score! Those Craigslist scores don't come around very often, but when they do.........you can really hit it big! Good job!

I check CL daily but have never seen a haul like this one. Great find!

I check CL daily but have never seen a haul like this one. Great find!

I know what you mean Rick. Here in Ohio they must be scooped up too quickly or those that are listed are asking too high a price. There are 2 3-gallon carboys listed for $26 each and we can buy them all day long from Amazon for $25 with free shipping. I have seen 6 gallon carboys listed for $50 or more. People have no idea what the going rates are.

Congrats!

Every now and then CL can be a goldmine for sure.

I picked up this $700 Rack for $90 a while back. Brand new, holds 320 bottles.

DSC02846.jpg

I remember when you got that. There was a similar one posted locally. I was a little late.
At the risk of giving up a little of the advantage, I am using an app on my phone that searches craigslist with my predefined keywords. it updates every 15 or 20 minutes.
Scott
Congrats!

Every now and then CL can be a goldmine for sure.

I picked up this $700 Rack for $90 a while back. Brand new, holds 320 bottles.

Latest posts

Back