Another competition question...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fabiola

Reaction score
If the instructions say that wines in order to be classified as dry, they need to contain less than 1% residual alcohol, how do I know or how do I measure the residual alcohol in my wines?

If the instructions say that wines in order to be classified as dry, they need to contain less than 1% residual alcohol, how do I know or how do I measure the residual alcohol in my wines?

Wouldn't that be residual sugar?

My bad, yes, is residual sugar, how do I know how much residual sugar is in a wine?

Residual sugar is listed as percent sugar just like alcohol. 1% residual sugar would be 1g per 100 mL or 10 g per liter. I presume you know how much sugar you added. Just calculate the percent based on the weight you added and the total volume in grams and liters.

By the way, Brix is percent sugar. If you measured by specific gravity, just convert the difference in your SG before and after adding sugar to brix. That should be your percent sugar.

For example, if your dry wine had a SG of 0.995 that would be -1.3 brix.

Let's say you raised it to SG 1.010. That would be 2.6 brix.

The difference between the numbers would be 2.6 - (-1.3) = 3.9 brix. So your residual sugar would be 3.9 %.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back