ANOTHER CHOKECHERRY WINE

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorthernWinos

Reaction score
Started another Chokecherry Wine today...

The "Usual Cast of Characters"

chokecherrySmall.jpg

Used the same recipe as before...Nice...just measure out the sugar and the S.G. ends upthe sameas before...

fog.jpg

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~CHOKECHERRY WINE~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

10 QUARTS JUICE = 22# STEAMED EXTRACTED CHOKECHERRIES
2 BOTTLES WINEXPERT RED GRAPE CONCENTRATE
7 1/2# SUGAR
6 1/2 CAMPDEN TABLETS
3 tsp LIQUID TANNIN
4 tsp ACID BLEND
2 oz AMERICAN OAK CHIPS [TOASTED]
2 VANILLA BEANS
10 TOASTED PEPPERCORNS
S.G. 1.085 water to 6 1/2 gallons

Tomorrow:
3 tsp YEAST ENERGIZER
6 tsp YEAST NUTRIENT
LALVIN RC-212 YEAST

Another favorite on the way.

Im going to have to find some of that at Winestock and see how it goes down

Let me tell you, Waldo, I had a bottle of PWP's chokecherry wine and it was awsome. And it went down real well with a steak too.
Ramona

Chokecherry is my favorite. I was able to beat the birds to about 40lbs. I have steamed about 20 of those, and have a nice batch going right now.

Waldo, I think you are going to be hooked once you try it...

Waldo, PM your address and I will send you a bottle I made last year....You will be hooked...

Bottled the Neighborhood Chokecherry Wine today....It turned out to be a very nice batch...Good right at bottling.

CHOKECHERRYSmall-1.jpg

I called it Neighborhood Chokecherry Wine because late this summer we were a regular site out in the road ditches before the heat of the day...wading though tall grasses wet by the heavy dew...Seems within a couple hours we would have between 30-52# of the precious berries, by then the heat and humidity had set in and I was cleaning them in the comfort of the AC....All the area people would honk and wave...so I think this first batch will be given away very quickly....

So...fresh from the freezer and into the steam juicer....yet another batch has begun...

freshchchSmall.jpg

Edited by: Northern Winos

Hi Northern,

Thanks for the recipe. I actually have some chokecherry juice in my canning cupboard from a few summers back that I could use to make a smaller batch. Does freshness of juice affect outcome?

I would think it might and there's always next summer (God willing) to pick some more and juice them. I've always used the juice to make syrup for pancakes and waffles.

I don't think age matters if the juice has been sealed in a mason jar.

Years ago we had a bumper crop of blackberries at our old farm...All our friends came and picked. I had made pancake syrup and jelly with the steam extracted juice...when we moved here it came along...when we moved out of the old house I threw out about 10 quarts...
smiley19.gif
Dumb move....
Later on we started making wine...while visiting a bachelor friend I saw 10 quarts of juice I had juiced for him all those years ago...He gave me them to make wine...it turned out great.

I would make your wine...it will turn out fine.

Yee...Haw!!!!

fermSmall-1.jpg

24 hrs after pitching...It's alive.

No matter how many times you do this it's always a good feeling to see an active ferment...and to smell it too.

Well....It was too darn cold to go fishing...so it was Funon the Farm Day....

We played Wine Makers today in our Winery/Kitchen.....

WINESSmall.jpg

The Chokecherry Wine has been clear and stable for awhile....so time to put it in the bottles....

RACKINGSmall.jpg

And got it labeled for the neighbors who contributed fruit...

CHOKECHERRYSmall-2.jpg

Very nice thing to do on a cold day NW, and you do it so well besides. I admire your ability to stick to just one label design, wish I could do that...... But can't.

How long should chokecherry age? I still have a bottle that JW sent me and it's killing me to try it, but don't want to ruin the experience if it's not ready yet.

I stick with one label design because it is easy and I am so cheap with ink....this is so easy...just the names have been changed [to protect the innocent]

I put a case of each batch away for a year [or try for a year].....and...to tell you the truth...It tastes GOOD today [all day]...and I really don't notice much difference in many of the wines after a year.

These are just lowly fruit wines...and personally I don't know if they really benefit from aging.

That turned out beautifully dark NW. What do you do if you come out with more than 25 bottles when you label them 1of only 25? Do you bottle first and then make the labels to match the number?

Appleman....we usually have more bottles than that....Always some strays.....odd bottles, corks not seated all the way, etc.....We can't cork some bottles very well with larger tops with our hand held Gilda...they always stay a tiny bit above the top of the bottle.

Some bottles don't get lables...The neighbors stopped over so a couple bottles of each batch left unlabeled...the odd bottlesjust get the dreaded masking tape that was on the carboys.....
smiley4.gif

Latest posts

Back