Another Busy Morning At The Cats Meow

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waldo

Reaction score
While everyone else was sleeping...Including Cheyenne

IMG_1387.jpg

my first task of the morning was to replenish my supply of roasted coffee beans.

IMG_1388.jpg

Next up was getting my batch of Strawberry wine going. I decided to steam juice them so starting out with 9lbs ( for a 2 gallon batch)

IMG_1380.jpg

I got the steamer juicer fired up and perking. My yield from the 9 lbs was just over a gallon of awesome smelling Strawberry juice
IMG_1384.jpg

All that was left was a mass of tasteless and pretty much odorless pulp.
IMG_1383.jpg

Will let this cool...check SG, adjust accordingly to my target SG of 1.080 and will then add my sulphite and let it sit until tomorrow evening at which time I will add my Acid Blend, Yeast Energizer, Nutrient, Tannin and Yeast. I dont think with the steaming that Pectic Enzyme is necessary but am open to the thoughts of others on this thinking.

I can smell that from here, Waldo! Yummmm-mmmy!

Did you pick and freeze them or did they come from the grocery store?

I picked them off the shelf at Kroger joan....Just could not wait ...I had to make some wine !!!

Looks great Waldo, the juice is very dark, you should end up with a nice light red colored wine from it. I would add the pectic enzyme at the beginning. Strawberries, blackberries and Raspberries have a floating substance that just will not go away without using it. I steamed some raspberries once and didn't use pectic enzyme and after 3 years, it's still not clear...... better to use it up front than to deal with it later. Besides, if you didn't need it........ it won't hurt being in there.

Oranges, Apples and plum contain quite a bit of pectin while strawberries and grapes contain very little. Not sure what problem you had Jobe but must add that adding pectic enzyme sure wouldnt hurt any.

So here is what happened; I had a 6 gallon batch of Strawberry/Reisling that I had tweaked and had finished off a bit sweeter than I had really wanted. So, I strained the steamed Strawberry juice through paper towels ( That took a while) siphoned off a gallon of the Strawberry/Riesling and replaced it with a gallon of the Strawberry juice. I stirred it good, degassed it again using the vacu-vin method and then added the remainder of my steamed juice to the gallon I had siphoned off which gave me another gallon and a half. I tasted a glass of this and I am totally convinced I just did the right thing....Time will tell.

Latest posts

Back