Funny re My PEAR Wine (and question)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Just-a-Guy

Reaction score
So.. for my third batch, as I've already bored you about, I bought a 96 oz can of Vintner's Harvest Pear. And here's what I did...

I put a lb of dried apricots, a lb of seedless white grapes (de-stemmed and rinsed), a lb of golden raisins and a lb of frozen sliced strawberries into a sparging bag, soaked in water (about 140F) for a few minutes, then cooled the water and added a tsp k-meta. Left overnight, then added a tsp pectic enzyme (in both cases mixing with a half-cup warm water and stirring in). Let sit 12 hrs. Then dump into fermenting bucket with Vintner's stuff.

Took 1 gal water and 1 gal Trader Joe's Pear Cider and heated it to 140 with 10 lbs of regular granular sugar, stirred it for 10 minutes or so. Cooled it with another 2 gallons of the TJ Pear Cider, them dumped in the bucket with the sparging bag and cider.

So now it was a good bit above the 5 gal line in the bucket, I let it sit overnight again. This morning, I stirred it and checked the SG. Um... 1.140. Yep. Oookaay.

Thinking that was a wee bit much, I started drawing off and gradually adding spring water. When I got it to 1.096, I gave up and pitched the yeast - Lavlin 71B-1122 (started in a cup of warm water).

So... now it's done. But I have a full 1 2/3 gals of the original mix, at about 1.140. I was thinking of doing a second 3 gal batch with that, maybe by adding some organic apple juice for an "apple-pear" wine.

Any thoughts or suggestions on any of the above? Will the main batch be ok do ya think, starting at such a high SG? And any ideas for using the "extra"?

TIA!

Mark

Latest posts

Back