Another Blackberry

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tepe,

I've kind of gotten in the habit of using nutrient and energizer in all my batches. And of course it was steam juicer juice.......

Off the top of my head since I am not at home right now.

a 6 galllon batch

2 gallons pure juice
10 pounds sugar dissolved into 1 gallon boiling water
filled the primary to the 6 gallon mark (just like the last time
smiley1.gif
)

1/4 tsp k-meta
energizer according to directions
nutrient according to directions
tannin according to directions ( I think I added them, but would have to check the official recipe)
pectic enzyme the next day, and then the k1-v1116

I have the lid loosely on the fermenter, but did not stir it until the 4th day. I think it kicked into overdrive after the stirring. I will probably rack it to glass on Friday, that will be the 7th day (providing the sg is in agreement)

The other batch of blackberry I started on May 18 was my template for this one. Its actually clearing pretty nicely right now in the wine closet.

Its hard to say, but guestimating the amount of blackberries steamed was 55 pounds and I got 24 quarts. It equals about 2.3 # of berries per quart. I used 8 quarts initially and then added a 9th quart to top up. So I'd have to say I used about 21 pounds of berries in the batch. It should work out between 3&4 pounds per gallon

I'm guessing you think I should have used more juice like say 3 gallons... C'mon I can take it........
smiley36.gif

Here's the thing. It's OK!
smiley32.gif

The more #'s of fruit = more body. I would also like FLAVOR ! Add a F-Pac!
smiley20.gif

So, it's a trade off. It its kinda thin add a few bananna's

tepe said:
Here's the thing. </font>It's OK!
smiley32.gif

</font>The more #'s of fruit = more body. I would also like FLAVOR ! Add a F-Pac!
smiley20.gif

So, it's a trade off. It its kinda thin add a few bananna's</font>

I was thinking about that too. Last years batch was thin, but I used the berries themselves and might not have extracted all the juice I could have.

This year's batch looks much darker already, and I haven't really tasted it yet, but I think it will be pretty good. I back sweetened the first batch and I will do the same for the second batch. I will allow this one to age quite a bit longer than the previous years batch. Besides I have a few more 1 year old wines to chose from to keep me distracted from drinking the new wines.

I think I need to take up brewing beer too LOL

Make a F-PAC ! Use your steamer.

Just take 2 quarts of steamed fruit for starters and sweeten.

gaudet said:
Besides I have a few more 1 year old wines to chose from to keep me distracted from drinking the new wines.

I think I need to take up brewing beer too LOL

It does help to have a nice stock to pick from and let the new stuff age. I'll be starting my blackberry this week or next or the week after, the berries are frozen and not going anywhere.
We went to the Tampa Bay Brew Company so hubby could enjoy a beer tasting today and he is inspired to start brewing again. Now he just has to decide what to brew.
VC

Both batches are stabilized and henceforth banished to the wine closet. I will try to forget about them until September/October

One thing you guys might try if you get enough berries is to use 100% steamed juice, dissolving the sugar in the hot juice as you go so you can keep track of the volume with the sugar in it. Its a very good wine but you got to have the berries to pull it off. Crackedcork

And have you done this? If so, how many #'s for 6 gal of steamed juice?

I dont really keep good records of yield from the juicer, but my usual expectations are a gallon of juice from 10 pounds of whatever berry I am juicing, plus you have to leave room for the sugar too. Crackedcork

tepe said:
And have you done this? If so, how many #'s for 6 gal of steamed juice?</font>

Racked both 6 gallon carboys today and added 1/4 tsp k-meta for preservative. I transferred from an italian carboy to a mexican one and had about 2-3 glasses leftover wine to taste. Carboy 1 was backsweetened with 2#'s sugar. That was the one I got the extra wine from and whoo boy I think it was pretty darn good. Carboy #2 is dry with no backsweetening at this time and I did have a glass of it earlier and thought that it wasn't too bad for a dry wine. Anyways I am looking forward to having a good bunch of wine to enjoy in a few months........

And you are on your way..
I hope you added sorbate.

blackberry makes a nice wine which makes up for all the blood that has been shed picking!
smiley36.gif

wade said:
blackberry makes a nice wine which makes up for all the blood that has been shed picking!
smiley36.gif

Thats the truth! I racked my Blackberry Wine onto oak yesterday and had a bit leftover to taste - Yum!
VC

I am getting excited to start my Blackberry Port. (in about 2 weeks)

MY brother picked me wild Blackberries from the coast of Oregon.

Are you ready for this...... Drum roll please................. 40 POUNDS!!!!

I think I am going to use them all on a 3 gallon batch of Port!!!

Goodfella,

you got more than enough to make a great 5 or 6 gallon batch. Don't make less than 5 gallons or I promise you will be sorry.

What would the negative effect be?

I have thought that might make it to acidic???

I want it strong since its a Port. So I was considering 8-10 pounds per gallon and a strong f-pack.

What would you guys here suggest?

When I have made blackberry by fermenting the fruit, I have found that it necessary to remove the fruit after no more than 4 days in primary. Otherwise, the wine was bitter because of the high tannin in the seeds. I now steam-juice all my fruit and my blackberry wine is fermented using traditional methods and is wonderful. With the huge amount of fruit you plan to use I would be especially concerned with the potential for bitterness.

You may wish to make a gallon of port using the pounds per gallon berries you had planned and freeze the remainder. You can then taste the finished port and decide what you want to do with the remaining berries.

Latest posts

Back