And it begins

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The season is off to a good start here. Most of my vines are about 2 weeks ahead of yours but a few in the "cold" part of the yard finally broke yesterday. We have had a dry spring with lots of sun. My solar panel output is up 25% from last year for the month of April.

Hopefully we will do better than last year. With the late spring and early cold last year I never got the brix I would have liked. The wine I got is drinkable but that's about it.

I had 4 batches (two 3 gallon ferments, and two 6 gallon ferments, brix 19.5, 2 at 20.5 and 21.5). On an interesting side note I finally figured out what all the weeds were from. Guess where I dumped the lees. I would have thought the wine making process would kill the viability of the seeds. It wasn't until the 3rd patch of the sprouts came up when I realized the patches were where I dumped the lees.

IMG_20200508_171559ss.jpg

Well, that was probably a waste of time. Sprayed, 10 hours later the rain started. It's been raining off and on for a couple of days and continuous for the last 20 and forecast is another 6-8.

Looks like a respray Friday or Saturday if it quits.

That has been my problem as well. Rain daily with not a 24 hour period in which to get a good spray in to help with the coming fungi epidemic. We are very susceptible to downy and phomopsis here. When we have too much rain, dead arm runs rampart, especially affecting concord vines. I may lose vines due to drowning!

I’m trying Immunox during this timeframe of constant rain. It claims to be rainproof so we will see how well it works. Once the rain lets up, I’ll spray with Captan or Mancozeb. I’m looking into suitability if Reliant on grapevines. It’s a systemic but I’m uncertain about whether the mfr has tried it on grapevines. It’s active ingredients are potassium salts of Phosphorus acid. Still waiting for their reply. Anyone have knowledge of this product? I’ve read some reports from experts about using phosphorus but they didn’t specifically mention Reliant.

I’m trying Immunox during this timeframe of constant rain. It claims to be rainproof so we will see how well it works. Once the rain lets up, I’ll spray with Captan or Mancozeb. I’m looking into suitability if Reliant on grapevines. It’s a systemic but I’m uncertain about whether the mfr has tried it on grapevines. It’s active ingredients are potassium salts of Phosphorus acid. Still waiting for their reply. Anyone have knowledge of this product? I’ve read some reports from experts about using phosphorus but they didn’t specifically mention Reliant.

I like Immunox, but try to keep it and captan to later in season.

Read one paper on vineyard chemicals and uses. Mancozeb was not effective for powdery mildew. I will no longer use it. I did last year and did have PM pretty bad.

I'm using lime sulphur early on. I'll switch to mixing up of a couple others as season progresses to vary treatment.

Yes, I used it because of the forecast rains we’re experiencing. Needed something to get the vines through the rainy season, something that was more ‘rain-proof’. But I certainly agree with you. Vital to help prevent resistance development.

Read one paper on vineyard chemicals and uses. Mancozeb was not effective for powdery mildew. I will no longer use it. I did last year and did have PM pretty bad.

I'm using lime sulphur early on. I'll switch to mixing up of a couple others as season progresses to vary treatment.
May I ask where you get the liquid lime sulfur? I am searching for it in small quantities. Thanks in advance.

groworganic.com for lime sulphur.
Best price I've found and they had it and shipped quickly.

It's in a 2.5 gallon jug, that gets 3 to 4 spray tanks for me depending on which sprayer I'm using.

Also use it on peach trees to control leaf curl. Works great for that. Requires fall, winter, spring application. Rain also got me there...

groworganic.com for lime sulphur.
Best price I've found and they had it and shipped quickly.

It's in a 2.5 gallon jug, that gets 3 to 4 spray tanks for me depending on which sprayer I'm using.

Also use it on peach trees to control leaf curl. Works great for that. Requires fall, winter, spring application. Rain also got me there...
Thanks much, just what I needed.
Skash

Here's a working spread sheet I made and update as I gain more info (mostly from my observation plus some university research). This may help with comparison. The yellow fields indicate that these products absolutely work as listed. Plain (no color) fields with a number means I'm leaning that way, but don't have enough data points to confirm. If they just say yes, then that means the product label says it works and I don't have enough data at this time to make an educated guess.

grapes.jpg

Here's a working spread sheet I made and update as I gain more info (mostly from my observation plus some university research). This may help with comparison. The yellow fields indicate that these products absolutely work as listed. Plain (no color) fields with a number means I'm leaning that way, but don't have enough data points to confirm. If they just say yes, then that means the product label says it works and I don't have enough data at this time to make an educated guess.

View attachment 61472
That’s great info, thanks! I also refer to the university research and while useful, it assumes I have their wallet to spend. Could you email this to me, please? I don’t know how to do email on this site yet but I can provide my email if you need it.
Skash

PM me your email and I'm send the spreadsheet. Had to make a pic of it to post it here. If you notice the last line, I have grape root borer listed. They are starting to find this issue in parts of Kentucky, which isn't that far. I'm wondering (hoping) if they get this far north, if my milky spore treatment around the vines with interrupt their life cycle..

PM me your email and I'm send the spreadsheet. Had to make a pic of it to post it here. If you notice the last line, I have grape root borer listed. They are starting to find this issue in parts of Kentucky, which isn't that far. I'm wondering (hoping) if they get this far north, if my milky spore treatment around the vines with interrupt their life cycle..
I think I sent it to you, but I’m uncertain whether I did it correctly. Sent last night. I’m in Boone County, near the airport.

Back