Ancient Wines

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pelican

Reaction score
In my Blackberry Barbera post under Fruit Wines, I had said:

My mother actually still has a bottle of Barbera which I had bought back
in the mid 1980s - when I moved overseas I had left the contents of the
wine and liquor cabinet (such as it was) with her. Bless her heart,
she's saved my "special wine" all these years. LOL, it will either be
awesome or awful, more likely the latter, when I finally get reunited
with it... </font>

Whoo Hoo! My cousin who lives a little bit more north of me here in MN, was on his annual southern sojurn and last stop was Mom's place in Florida. She has packed up the wines she was keeping since so long ago (circa 1991) -- wrapped them in bubble wrap, stuffed them in his cooler and they are on the road northward!

Apparently she had 5 bottles she had been so faithfully keeping for me. Two Barbera, an Italian ?, a French ? and a something ?. I honestly can't remember what the others would be, all I know is there was at least 1 bottle of Barbera - but she said there were 2.

I don't expect them to be worth drinking, but I do expect to have a thrill tasting whatever they do taste like - assuming green fog doesn't emit from the bottles when uncorked. I do hope the French was not a Nouveau LOL that would most definitely be past it's prime.

And no, none of them were stored with any thought to protecting the wine as it aged. It's just going to be quite the adventure finding out just how bad they can be (or not). Hoping against hope for the "or not"!
smiley9.gif

It will be great to meet old friends again......Hope they made the passage of time....Good Luck...Hope you get to enjoy....
smiley36.gif

Pelican, I hope you are pleasantly surprised!!!! Keep us posted.
smiley4.gif

Latest posts

Back