An Opportunity for Me

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xanxer82

Reaction score
A few weeks ago, I mentioned that I contacted a local winery, Serpent Ridge. Told the owner that I was a home winemaker and wanted to learn more about growing grapes and making wine from grapes.
He invited me down to the vineyard and winery. Today I went for a visit.
Greg showed me the big stainless steel fermentation tanks and some of the vines.
After that I got to see the tasting room and he gave me a bottle of wine to take home. I offered to give him a hand around the winery so I could learn more. He seemed happy about that. I was invited to come back Thursday to help prune the last few rows of Cabernet Franc.
After seeing the vines and wines and just the atmosphere of that small winery, I am sure I want to go forward with my own. I'm very thankful to Greg from Serpent Ridge for this opportunity.

Very cool opportunity. Only one thing you left out of the "After seeing the vines and wines and just the atmosphere of that small winery" was the wonderful aroma!:b

Very cool! I had family who used to work at Windgate Winery and Vineyards here in PA. I got a few really cool tours and learned some really good info from that! Very cool indeed!

Very cool! I had family who used to work at Windgate Winery and Vineyards here in PA. I got a few really cool tours and learned some really good info from that! Very cool indeed!

We have been to Windgate Winery, that is a nice place. I have heard that several of the winery's no longer give tours, such a shame.

What a great opportunity to go to the vinyard. It's an education that will help you to appreciate your wine even more.

Make sure you ask everything that comes into your mind and ask if you can come back and help harvest as he'll probably let you keep some!

And that's how the big slide begins...................................:w

It all starts out and you are in control of it, but it eventually takes over you!

Have fun while you can..........

The owner already suggested comming around for bottling day of the 2009 wines. That's coming up very soon. I even had a small preveiw of one of the wines straight from the stainless steel fermenter. Very tasty Pinot grigio!
I wonder if I can get some viable cuttings...

That's really cool. I hadn't thought of offering to help!
We have a vineyard and winery not ten miles from here. It's kind of funny, but for some reason the State seems to be obiliged to help out some small businesses.
They have even put up real road signs giving directions to this winery.

Just keeps getting better huh Dan? Very cool opportunity indeed!

Today I went to Seprent Ridge to help prune the cabernet franc vines. It was educational.
Learned about cordioning the vines. I'll go back to help with leaf thinning and whatever else needs doing. Told the owner to just give me a call.

Latest posts

Back