Amy from Baltimore, MD

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amytmock

Reaction score
I have already gotten lots of great advice, but I haven't introduced myself here yet, so I figured I should!

My name is Amy, and I currently live in Baltimore -- though I grew up in southern New Hampshire (I miss it) and also lived in Savannah, GA for about 6 years. I moved to Maryland after college, and generally, I work/travel about 70 hours a week on average (I have to admit, at least I do LOVE my job so I don't usually mind it).

My parents taught me to love wine young, and my appreciation has only grown since then. I truly appreciate wine, and I just kind of decided that it was time for me to take it to the next level and create/bottle it myself!

I just bought my first equipment kit, and ingredient kits. I've already gotten so many answers and so much support from this forum. Everyone here has already made me so excited, that I just can't wait to taste my first wine and improve upon the next!

Welcome. What are you making to start with? I think that's the hardest part. The first couple batches just sit there waiting for you to open them but you know you have to wait and wait so they age and really develop into something you like.

I did a white that a month ago was ok. This week it impressed me and many others! As long as my wife doesn't drink all of it I can't to try it in 6 months and a year. I may have to hide a case from her! Shhhhh....

Well, I guess forunately (depending on how you look at it) I live on my own so I don't have to worry about other's sneaking a drink -- unless my cat is more talented than I originally thought.

So given the suggestions I've gotten from George at Fine Vines, and other's here... This is my current game plan....

I'm going to get two glass carboys to start with.
Carboy #1: Mosti Mondiale Viniferna Bourg Royal White (can be bottled in a few weeks)
Carboy #2: Mosti Mondiale Viniferna Castel del Papa (can be bottled in a few months)

....I started typing out my medium term game plan here... The timing for carboy one, what to replace it with, then extra racking from carboy #2, beer, etc....... And I realized it was WAY too complicated and you probably don't care :)

Anyway..........I'm figuring those for my first two wines, just to get my feet wet. However, I'm already planning for some beer and higher end kits in the near future! Lets just say that I'm aggressively determined and excited!

Bottled doesn't mean it's ready to drink. Mine was bottles a couple months ago and really shined in the past week. Don't rush it!
If you want something easy, cheap to make, and ready to drink quick try some Skeeter Pee.
I just got a Seville Orange mist type kit that gets good reviews and should also be ready to drink in about 8 weeks.

Since January I have aging:
Port, Chianti, Grenache, Pinot Grigio, Shiraz Vognier. It's easy to get hooked and before you know it you have carboy rabbits!

Had no idea there was a chatroom too!!! I'm just plain thrilled beyond belief... I may need another bottle now to keep me calm :)

welcome to the forum amy! hey, baltimore! im not too far from you!!!! 3 hours north! yay! wine rocks and hope to talk to you soon in the chat room!

Mikael

Welcome, Amy.

My suggestion - make some early drinkers first, then follow that with some higher end kits that will take much longer to be ready to drink.

I have not made any of the Vinifera kits but (I believe) they are earlier drinkers than some of the high end kits. George would know, of course.

The mist kits, sometimes called summer wines are not the best quality wine, but they are a lot of fun for parties and picnics. Pour them over a full glass of ice, add your favorite fruit slices, and enjoy a month after clearing. George sells them. I have tried several of the Orchard Breezin' by RJ Spagnol and have not been disappointed.

Don't rush to drink the higher end red kits; give them a couple of years to develop. Of course the high end whites will be ready much sooner.

Enjoy!

ok so where's the pictures you was talking about
LOL glad you got on with us hope you enjoy yourself and have fun

Hey Amy! Welcome you are not to far away I am just west of York PA. I have spent lots of time in Balt. I was stationed at APG for 5 years and used to live close to Golden Ring mall.. Great area for things to do..

Latest posts

Back