Mosti Mondiale amorone

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redlover

Junior
Reaction score
thinking about making it next. what does it taste like i love cabernet is it similar in taste. it seems like a very popular mondi
smiley2.gif

Amarone has a very unique taste among red wines! It is very different from Cab! Since most Amarones are about $50/bottle, you could also try to find a Valpolicella Ripassa. They make that one on the lees and skins of the Amarones after racking. It has a close taste to Amarone at 1/2 the price.

So what does it taste like? Well, it is high in alcohol, but you cannot taste the hotness (because they only release them when they are 5 years old), and you get a very tannic, and somewhat sherry like taste to the wine. It feels like there is some residual sweetness left in there, and you definately taste raisins as a dominant flavor, because the wine is made mostly from raisins! This is a very big wine, with nothing really subtle about it.

I bottled mine on March 1st. It should be at least reasonable by Christmas. I've open two bottles so far, one at three months the other at 5. It definitely needs the 9 months in the bottle minimum, but it is going to be a very big, slightly sweet and quite powerful wine. The raisin taste is predominant at the moment. I don't know if that changes over time. I will say that it is difficult to stop at one glass.
smiley1.gif

Edited by: peterCooper

RedLover,
My Amarone has been in the carboy about a month and I am really looking forward to it. Finding an Amarone to purchase is difficult and when you do find it, it is too expensive. I bought a bottle (with others)not long a go. It was the first Amarone I had tasted and it was wonderful.

I seem to be on about a four month turn around on my wines. After completing the kit as per instructions, I leave it in the carboy for about 2 months then rack it and let it sit for another two months beforeI bottle. With the AmaroneI hope I want touch it for at least another six months after bottling.

Good luck with yours.

Latest posts

Back