Amarone. What's the deal?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was just looking over the RJ Spagnols En Primeur Amarone. It sounds like a good choice.

The CC showcase and both of the RJ Spagnols (WS and En Primeur) Amarone kits are significantly better than the WE. The WE isn't bad, it just needs a some help. Joeswine on this forum has figured out how to turn it into something nice.

No, not even remotely possible that you could make a true (i.e., Denominazione di Origine Controllata, DOC) Amarone in your basement.

I do get your point. I should have been clearer. I do not, unfortunately, live in Italy. I guess this is the best I can do under the circumstances. :)

Although, my friends mom who is from Italy makes these UNBELIEVABLE sun dried tomatoes. Just by laying them on pieces of wood out in the sun. I'll ask her about her methods. It couldn't hurt to try it with some grapes.

BTW the kit I have is a CC Showcase.

This is why Amarone cost $60 a botle for something decent. You also have to know when to say when. When the drying amount is just right.

appassimento_vert.jpg

I can confirm the CURRENT CC Showcase Amarone uses a very thick (wet) grape pack, not dried skins as I have previously seen with their Cab Sauv kit.

I think I have decided on the RJ Spagnols En Primeur Amarone, now trying to find one, ugh.... I looked at out sponsored websites with no luck, I searched the net and I'm only coming up with one southern site and I believe I remember hear their reputation was way less than favourable. :( if anyone has a clue, I would be so very thankful.

This is why Amarone cost $60 a botle for something decent. You also have to know when to say when. When the drying amount is just right.

appassimento_vert.jpg

This really has peaked my interest. I might have to select some grapes this fall and try a experiment.

Brew and Wine Supply looks like they may carry them but have no En Primeur in stock. I would call them and see if they can order a fresh one for you. If not then I would head over to finevinewines and order and use the code "OTP1031359" for 12% off the growers club price. You have to order by midnight tonight though so don't delay. They also offer flat rate shipping.

I think I have decided on the RJ Spagnols En Primeur Amarone, now trying to find one, ugh.... I looked at out sponsored websites with no luck, I searched the net and I'm only coming up with one southern site and I believe I remember hear their reputation was way less than favourable. :( if anyone has a clue, I would be so very thankful.

George at finevinewines.com carries these kits. He normally stocks them but if he is out, he will get it for you and let you know when it will ship. George gives EXCELLENT service.

Thank you Mike and Roger! I've got my cart ready for finevinewines. (thank you for the code Mike!) I am waiting on Doug to call me back with his price before I decide.

I ended up going with Doug at Brew and Wine Supply since I could only pick one :) Doug gave me a lot of good added information as well. I can't wait! It will also be my first kit with skins.

I ended up going with Doug at Brew and Wine Supply since I could only pick one :) Doug gave me a lot of good added information as well. I can't wait! It will also be my first kit with skins.

You will be pleased with the service from Doug at Brew and Wine. You can often get a better price from Doug than from FVW on many products. Hope you enjoy the wine. I have one that is approaching 2 years old but still not ready for prime time. Hope to have it ready for Christmas, 2015.

Enjoy!

To be clear, this kit comes with dried grape skins (Gen-U-Wine) AND rasins. At least it did when I made it. I used the skins in primary and the raisins in secondary. IIRC, the kit didn't specify when to add them.

Thanks for the tips and wisdom. I'm am sure when the kit comes I will be nervous Nellie and need some help. I am banking on about 3-5 years before I can pop a cork. Is this what I should expect?

You should be able to pop a cork by 18 months and then ease them into full rotation by 24 months.

Thats pretty standard for a high end red kit. It should age well assuming you have proper SO2 protection and good closures.

There are 3 kits I have been trying to read up on. CC, RJS and WE. Just not sure which of the three is the better one. Would love some experienced opinions.

I made the CC and bottled it in February, 2015. It was only bulk aged for 3 months before we bottled it. Added 3 tsp of tan cru after fining, and otherwise followed the instructions. Since my wife and I are not patient, we opened our first bottle last night - i decanted it, let it sit for 15 minutes then we drank. Soon after we opened our second bottle! Like prior post said, it really doesn't matter if it becomes just like a "real" amerone, the key is do you like it! We LOVE it and are fans of bigger reds, having made the Super Tuscan, Lodi Cab, Argentine Malbec, etc. I'm not about to wait two years - I'll enjoy these over the next 6-9 months and do another kit!

Did you guys say that the Valpolicella Ripasso (Superiore) is considered a baby Amarone?

Well, yes I did! Here is the second post in this thread, with some emphasis added:

Amarone (i.e., true Amarone) is inherently expensive to produce. It is also sought after, which drives up the price as well.

It is made by taking the ripe grapes, and allowing them to air dry for a period of time. This concentrates the juice, making the wine more full-bodied, intensely flavored, and higher in alcohol. This process, called appassimento, takes time and money, of course.

As to laying your hands on a reasonably priced bottle, I have two suggestions. One is a visit to a Trader Joe's, if you have any nearby. They often have an Amarone in the twenty-something dollar range.
Another suggestion is to try a Valpolicella Ripasso. This wine is made by "repassing" a normal Volpolicella through the leftover Amarone skins. Ripasso wines are sometimes described as a "baby Amarone." Here is a site to this effect: http://www.winewordswisdom.com/wine_reviews/ripasso-wines.html

Back