Mosti Mondiale Amarone topper-upper

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's all I wanted to know Joan.Two bags is close enough! Well.... maybe on second thought...... count each and every one of them so we know exactly how many you used. And be sure to get pictures while doing it
smiley36.gif

How about not topping up and just using an inert gas cover over the
wine? Didn't see that mentioned in this thread but have been doing that
with mine rather than topping up with a different wine, or in the case
of WE kits - water. Anybody doing that?

Not yet but since a local liquor store is now carrying that gas for saving wine in a bottle I might start doing this.

Inert gas is usually a mix of argon and co2, which is heavier than oxygen to form a cap of gas over the wine. My only concern is that is does dissipate eventually, and I do use airlocks for bulk aging so that residual CO2 can escape. If I used barrels for bulk aging, I wouldn't need the airlock, as barrels breath.

I just wouldn't know when to replenish the gas blanket since it is not visible. Our liquor store sells the cans of it too, at about $4.00 per can, which they say is good for up to 20 bottles, or I'd guess 4-5 carboys. If you have friends who are welders, you can also get argon in LARGE tanks. Usually Argon/Nitrogen is a good mix to keep a blanket on. You just have to make sure that you've truly degassed. Maybe with an aspirator vac and stones, you could degass enough, the blanket with inert gas and seal it up without the need for a top-up.

To me, it's just easier to top up, and I know I'm protected then.

I think the cans in my liquor store say nitrogen and say that they are good for 150 bottles. You will need a solid bung doing it this way.

The one I am using is Argon and Nitrogen and I use it to fill the space
between liquid and airlock. I do use an airlock. My rational is the
using the inert gas displaces the oxygen in that space or at least
dilutes it significantly. I use an airlock for all the usual reasons.
Didn't think I wanted a solid bung.

I also don't see, at least until you guys convince me otherwise, that
degassing the wine is any different than if you top up. It still needs
to be deagassed and if it isn't completely degassed the CO2 which
escapes doen't hurt the blanket infact may contribute to it.

I appreciate the feedback. Everything is an experiment!

Latest posts

Back