Aloha From Hawaii

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roadwarriorsvt

Reaction score
So I'm the newb here and to wine making in general. I made my first batch last summer. Since I have 3 lychee trees on my property, we give it to friends, family, neighbors, etc. I had so much left over I decided to try my hand at making lychee wine. I made a 4 gallon batch. I think it turned out OK for my first batch. I'll laugh at myself down the line after I mature as a winemaker I'm sure. I'm making blackberry right now. My next batch will be mango since I have access to Hayden & common mangos for free. This site seems to be a great source of information as I've had several of my questions already answered by reading the existing threads. I can't contribute a lot about winemaking, yet, but any questions about Hawaii just fire away. I look forward to chatting with you guys & gals.

roadwarriorsvt, Welcome to the party. It won't be long before you're hooked. Start collecting carboys now because it won't belong before you'll need twice as many. How is it there to buy wine making supplies? Are they plenty available for a decent price? Do I see some pineapple wine in the future? Feel free to pop in any time and ask questions.

Hi Dan. Right after I mail ordered a beginners kit from EC Krause, I discover a local brew shop called www.homebrewinparadise.com Prices are comparable to mail order shops. Good advice on stocking up on the carboys. This hobby is addicting!

Wow, thats great that thetre is a place like that there and the beer making supply looks pretty darn good. Do you like beer also, we have quite a few beer makers here also.

Do you like beer also,

Shirley you can't be serious? :)

J/K..... I have a keg of hefeweizen in my garage and enjoy trying different beers. Darker, more robust are my favorites. Don't really have a desire to make my own (yet).

Welcome! I've made a passion fruit mix wine and I was really pleased with it. You're in passion fruit country, so there's another option for you. What island are you on?

Welcome oh by the way you had better get busy and get some wine made up for when we all come over for a visit and vacation

Welcome! Fresh fruit like that sounds awesome! Our mangoes come from mexico and I know they'd be better fresh.

Aloha and welcome to the forum. I was there a few years ago and every day was "another day in paradise".

HOWZIT BRA!!!!!! and welcome to the forum.. Glad to have you here.. where abouts do you live on Ohau? I spent 7 years on Schofield.. 2 tours..Miss the weather.. especially this time of year..

Welcome to the group. I'm jealous of your easily accessible and low cost / free supply of fresh grown tropical fruits. There's a place in my heart for tropical fruits and wines made from them.

Ok just to let everyone know we are working on our next get together at roadwarriorsvt's house.:) Welcome to a great obsession/passion. We have a good group of folks here with all kinds of things brewing. How far outside of the box can we go?

My BIL has pineapples shipped in from Hawaii every year. So much better tasting than store bought. Are there farms where you can pick fruit or does everyone hang onto theirs. You'll see there won't be enough time in the day to do all that you want. My wish list is huge.

If you have any questions ask away or browse the site for answers. Great to have another member.

Hey Brian, I'm right here in Wahiawa, about 3 miles from Schofield. We were neighbors and didn't even know it! Haha! :slp

The mangos here are much better than the ones from Mexico. While visiting family in GA, we bought some mangos from a farmers market in Atlanta. They had a nasty film on the meat and a hint of a soapy flavor. With so many varieties of mangos, thay all can't be good I guess! :)

You guys have me interested in making some passion fruit wine, as well as lilikoi.

Last edited:
Welcome, welcome, welcome!
My wife lived in Hawaii (Oahu and Maui) fir 28 years.
Bet YOU haven't had any pipes bust lately. :db

You have to try pineapple wine. I just made 2 gallons with 6 pineapples. I found some really good cheap pineapples but they are hard to find at the right ripeness sometimes around here.

I'm sure at one point or another I'll try pineapple also. I'm guessing that the pineapples need to be fully ripe first?

Back