All vines turned dry - Help with the diagnosis!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blumentopferde

Reaction score
Help!
I have a real mess going on in my vineyard:

Every single vine turned dry and brown! But See yourself!

I think it must be poudery mildew. Because of the brown leaves and the steady rainfall and relatively high temperatures we have at the moment.

But what startles me, is how quickly this happened: I sprayed the vines 4 days ago (that was before the rain) and they all were perfectly healthy back then. Now, only 4 days after, EVERY SINGLE leave, no matter where on the site and no matter how high above the ground turned brown.

What do you think? And is there anything I could do about it?

What did you spray? That looks a lot like my garden a couple years back when my neighbor spot sprayed for weeds when the wind was blowing. Every plant I had turned black from the edges inward and died. Maybe some new growth will put out.

Are you sure of what you sprayed? Seems awfully coincidental that your vines would die right after you sprayed?

You're probably right!
I had the same suspicion and googled for the stuff I was spraying... and well, I overlooked one small detail, when I mixed the ingredients. One spray said the following: "May lead to damaged leaves if mixed with oils".

Well, I had some oil-based substance against mites in the mixture... So could be very well possible that I just liquidated the whole year's crop and maybe even some vines too! :slp

I feel your pain. Hopefully your vines will bounce back for next year.

If it makes you feel any better, I appreciate you owning up to that you may have missed something on the label, and I - for one, and I'm sure others as well - will read the label before I spray the next time. Sorry for the hard lessson...

They may not be dead, hopefully they will leaf out again soon or maybe re-sprout again from the roots

There are a few sprays that can cause damage due to phytotoxicity when combined with oil, especially if temps are above 80 degrees. One such spray is Captan.

Yeah, I think they will all come back again, but as they suffered a lot from powdery mildew last year and we had a very long and cold winter this year, I fear that some of them won't have the strength to get over the next winter...

Thanks for the hint grapeman!

I am spraying "organic" (it's cheaper and easier to get in small amounts, not because I'm such a hippie :p) and somehow I had this stupid idea, that organic can't do that much damage :re

Well, it can!

For anyone who's interested: The combination that caused the damage was potassium hydrogen carbonate (thanks to Linguee for the translation!) together with rapeseed oil!

Captan mixed with Dormant oil was the first thing that popped into my mind that could cause quick spray damage. Be very careful with sprays...as mentioned above; Captan and oil spray...I never mix or on top of the other. I also have be careful when using Sulfur sprays...OK with some vines; but not my Norton. My two most used spray mixtures are Mancozeb with all season Dormant oil then switching to Mancozeb and Sevin.

Also, as for the herbicide 2,4-D...baddddd stuff for grape vines. This stuff can atomize in the air and travel miles and still effect grape vines.

Latest posts

Back