All about Corks (floor corker, nomacorc, cork taint)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foursons

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I've always used the floor cork. And at first the corks went in perfectly, but as time went on the bottom of the cork would get chipped off (the top of the cork looks perfectly fine). Would this create a problem of possible cork taint?

Ive always used natural corks but heard good reviews on nomacorcs, are they as good as they say? (for their price level).

Ive also looked into the automatic cork machines that are used in winemaking stores, the ones with glass doors. Do they also create cork crumbs time to time? or are they near perfect?

Thanks in advance~!

A chip in the cork should not lead to cork taint if the corks are of good quality. If you want to try Nomacorks, buy a small bag to experiment with. I have found that the Italian Floor Corker can create a slight crease in them. Under certain circumstances they may not spring back out and may leak occasionally. Long necked bordeaux bottles seem to have the most problems. I normally use the real corks because of that problem.

I have seen reviews on the various corks. For long-term storage (5+ years), you have to use a top quality natural cork, or something like the Nomacorcs. Top quality natural cork will be more expensive than Nomacorcs.

If you are going to drink the wine within 2 years from bottling, then the inexpensive corks are fine. Since you have a floor corker, use the larger #9 corks for a better seal.

thanks guys~

Ill probably try different types of corks and see which one i like.

Hope everyone has a good start in 2014!

We've been using nomacorks since they came out, so we've pushed thousands of them. They work real well, and I also would say to get a small bag of them and see how they work with your corker. We really like them since we no longer have issues that you can encounter with natural corks.

Latest posts

Back