Alcohol Tolerance

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mjdtexan

Reaction score
Waldo said:

Alcohol Tolerance: 14% ABV

I read this in another thread and I didnt want to hijack it. Does this mean that if the alcohol tries to go beyond this the yeast will have trouble or does it mean that the ABV can go no higher than this?

Mike D

It means that the yeast will have a hard time surviving and living to do it's thing. If conditions are very favorable, they might keep living a bit longer and may go to 15-16% alcohol in this one's case. If conditions aren't as good it may only go to 12-13%.

Al it means is that yeast usually will quit around that abv, it all depends on how healthy the yeast colony is though as Ive seen a yeast with this tolerance go as has as 16.5% and also stop at 13%. Thats why we always say to go with an sg that will end beofre the yeats does or you will probably end up with a higher abv then you are shooting for. With that said I sometimes test these out and have had good results but dont recommend it as it doesnt always work as K&G found out when he did exactly what I did and it made it to dry with a Blackberry wine.

Ahh Rich, you are faster on the draw today! Grasshopper stands besides himself!

Thank Yall both. Its weird, two weeks ago I knew nothing about wine. Still dont really but I find myself reading tons of post. (ah man, Mark Martins car just blew up, ) I probably only really understand about 1% of what I need to know but I still feel like I am miles ahead of where I was two weeks ago.

Mike D

You are and will always learn more and more like almost all of us do. just researching stuff to answer posts for you new people makes me learn so much and just another reason why I love doing it!

Back