Alabama finally legalized homebrewing.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah that is good news. Alabamas law is effective before Mississippi.

I may just make some wine now.

Glad to see both states are moving toward a reasonable position on this, congrats to everyone in both states.

you would think that since its 2013 and not 1913, that they should have passed this along time ago.
But then we still have people imprisoned for years for small amounts of reefer, which is legal is a few states now.

Only 15G every 3 months! Thats only 60G per year....... :)

I sense a lot of people will still be breaking the law with those limits!

Not me, I' ll carefully monitor my production. It's the right thing to do.

Only 15G every 3 months! Thats only 60G per year....... :)

I sense a lot of people will still be breaking the law with those limits!

WellI did not read a presser on it, but that doesn't sound very progressive, what a shame. I'll have to change my congrats to a small congrats. Maybe they will see the light and increase it later on.

WellI did not read a presser on it, but that doesn't sound very progressive, what a shame. I'll have to change my congrats to a small congrats. Maybe they will see the light and increase it later on.

Should there be a WWW.POTMAKINGTALK.COM?

Not a big fan of pot. I think this country has its hands full with alcohal related issues. My thinking is that we dont need pot related issues too..

{Administator: If you deem this too political, feel free to remove this post}

Should there be a WWW.POTMAKINGTALK.COM?

Not a big fan of pot. I think this country has its hands full with alcohal related issues. My thinking is that we dont need pot related issues too..

{Administator: If you deem this too political, feel free to remove this post}

Not sure what you're reading or seeing, but the new Alabama law allows brewing 15 GALLONS per quarter which is 60 GALLONS per year which is what I was referring to with respect to federal laws and most states. I never knew that progressive=pot, wow.

Here's the link to the article:

http://m.yahoo.com/w/legobpengine/finance/news/bentley-signs-law-legalize-home-145359179.html?.intl=us&.lang=en-us

Last edited:
the big question is: who is going to check on the 60 gallons? This sounds like another one of those government laws which will be broken and never enforced (so why have it in the first place?)

Not sure what you're reading or seeing, but the new Alabama law allows brewing 15 GALLONS per quarter which is 60 GALLONS per year which is what I was referring to with respect to federal laws and most states. I never knew that progressive=pot, wow.

Here's the link to the article:

http://m.yahoo.com/w/legobpengine/f...lize-home-145359179.html?.intl=us&.lang=en-us

Sorry whiskers.. There was a post on this thread saying that in this day and age, some states have actually legalized pot, but Alabama is worried about homebrew/wine. This was an inflamatory post against Alabama. It must have been removed by the administrator.

Its still there on page 1 of this thread. No complaints yet. It does seem crazy to think at least in some states now grass is (semi) legal. This doesn't mean that if can't get fired though if your employer does random drug testing. You still can and will be if caught. This is a state law change only and not a federal law change. Lawsuits are already in the works!

This was an inflamatory post against Alabama. It must have been removed by the administrator.

the big question is: who is going to check on the 60 gallons? This sounds like another one of those government laws which will be broken and never enforced (so why have it in the first place?)

I am quite sure the home winemakers/brewers in the state of Alabama would rather be able to make 15 gallons/quarter than not, legally anyway. At least it is a step in the right direction. There are still states, or portions of states, that do not allow homebrew at all, or the volume is even smaller than the federal limits. Now if only it were legal to have wine shipped to all states, as in 'interstate shipping' where Jane Doe (me) can partake of a wine club or online vendor or onsite visit to out of state winery & have my wine shipped to my home. One day, maybe.

Now if only it were legal to have wine shipped to all states, as in 'interstate shipping' where Jane Doe (me) can partake of a wine club or online vendor or onsite visit to out of state winery & have my wine shipped to my home. One day, maybe.

That would be nice. It is why we don't ship atm. However, I do like the states having their own rules and sovereignty. I think it is important because it allows for change in the right way. Using the pot as an example. Say CO has less pot charges on the books and sees sales taxes rise significantly because the sale of it. It also sees less crime because cops can focus on other things, while saving money on incarceration. Colorado having no major issues helps solve some of their revenue issues continues the sales of pot. Now other states can look at the law and see if it works. On the other hand, wrecks go up from high drivers, there's little to no revenue because all sales are under the table type or grown locally and crime goes up, CO can put the ban back on pot and other states can figure legalizing may not work. Now, it's not always that easy to tell how well or not so well a law works without a few years and a few studies. That kind of scenario with other laws happens all the time. If laws are ridiculous in your point of view in one state, you can move. AKA voting with your feet. I think that idea keeps states in check on their laws, but if the Federal Gov't makes a law, it's not so easy to get away from (who wants to move to Canada? lol).

We get requests all the time to ship wine and there are other avenues, but for now, we are selling enough from the tasting room to do well.

60 gallons is a little low, IMO, but if you keep the batches small enough (~10 gal), you can still have a good variety.

I don't have a problem with 60 gallons, but if you just want to make grape wine from your own vines, I don't have any varieties that ripen in November through June. Seems like they could have just said 60 gallons a year. Maybe 15 gallons a quarter sounds like a smaller amount.

Let me clarify the AL law: 60 gallons a year total. 15 gallons per quarter total. No more than 15 gallons in possession or in household at any one time during the year. Transportation on public right of ways of 10 gallons or less is OK.

All of that is void if you live in a dry county, where it is still completely illegal. That means that in one-third of the state, it remains illegal to brew or ferment any quantity. I have not heard the level of the offense, but in the past it was a felony.

So yes, it allows for fermentation on an extremely limited basis for a certain group of people in areas that have approved commercial alcoholic sales. And it does decriminalize the possession of brewing or fermenting equipment.

On the other hand, the separate proposal to allow Alabama wineries to open off-site tasting rooms and sell their wine directly from those rooms did not make it out of committee. You can still sell commercially only from the winery itself, a very small volume business. But the beer and liquor distributors lobby is powerful.

Thus, lawmakers ensured that commercial wineries will not be able to grow in the state. All of its wineries are currently too small in production to interest a distributor in their wares. So you only get to buy big wines the big distributors have brought in, and they make the money. See how this works? :h

As far as Free the Hops, it is primarily a craft brewers organization intent on liberalizing the beer laws to allow for more commercial craft breweries. FTH is not nearly as big a supporter of individual rights to brew or ferment, as that potentially takes revenues from its member base. I'm not saying FTH did nothing to push the bill - it just did a lot less than it did to push the beer container size increase and other craft industry friendly reforms.

Last edited:
Back