Airlock

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pizz65

Reaction score
This my first time making wine. Do I use the airlock on the 6gal. bucket while it is fermenting or do I just put the lid on it.

Thanks
Frank

That seems to be a matter of preference. Some just put the cover on loose while others use the airlock. I use the airlock!

I don't use the airlock on mine. It lets more oxygen in to get the yeasts going quicker and gives a cleaner primary ferment. It will work, but I jus don't use it for the reason I stated. I just lay a washcloth or similar over the hole. I have tried just a cheesecloth over the top, but things can get knocked in it that way accidentally.

i use a sanitized cloth held on with a rubber band to keep visitors out but allow plenty of air during the aerobic portion of the operation.

We use a cotton dish towel over the top of the bucket, attached with string and rubber band. Then we set the cover on top to keep the cats from falling through.

PolishWineP said:
We use a cotton dish towel over the top of the bucket, attached with string and rubber band. Then we set the cover on top to keep the cats from falling through.

Our cover is also placed on top of the cloth but to keep gators out.

Each part of the country has its unique needs and methodsEdited by: scotty

I put the airlock in the hole to fill the hole but just set the lid on top. I don't snap it down tight.

On one kit, I decided to snap the lid down tightly on the fermenter and leave an airlock in place. Needelss to say, when I checked it next, the lid was holding a dome shape and the airlock was going crazy. Since then, I use an airlock in the hole and just set the lid in place just like smurfe stated.

- Jim

Latest posts

Back