Air space at top of secondary

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

M1wino

Aspiring winemaker
Reaction score
I just transferred to my secondary and the wine came to the top of the curve on my Carboy is that to much air?

Do I need to worry about it now or just fill the void when I rack?
Thanks for any input

Mark

Last edited:
M1wino,
If your wine is still fermenting the headspace is not a problem. When the SG is unchanged for 3 consecutive days you can assume that fermentation is finished and you will want to add k-meta and degas.
After you degas you can either add a clarifier and top-off with a similar wine or top-off then allow wine to clear on its own. The second option will take much more time but many prefer to do it by this method.
If you use a clarifier you will have to wait 1-2 weeks for the wine to clear. After it has cleared rack the wine off the lees and you can either bottle at this time or top-off your carboy and bulkagel.
Hope this helps some.

LOUMIK;)

Now that it is my secondary do I check s.g. Daily yet or let it go till ferment slows down?

Also can I just use an f-pack to top off?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help, total newbie and just want to make sure I'm doing it right!

M1Wino.

As I mentioned above, when the SG is unchanged 3 consectutive days fermentation has stopped. You will have to check SG at least every couple of days even in secondary to know it has stopped dropping.
Yes you can use an fpac to top-up, but if you add an fpac or sweetner you must add sorbate to the wine when you add the k-meta then wait about a week before adding the fpac. If you add an fpac or sweetner with out sorbate your wine may start to ferment again and if you have topped-up you may end up with it foaming over or through your airlock.If you have already added the k-meta thats ok, you can still add the sorbate before adding the fpac.

LOUMIK;)

M1Wino.

As I mentioned above, when the SG is unchanged 3 consectutive days fermentation has stopped. You will have to check SG at least every couple of days even in secondary to know it has stopped dropping.
Yes you can use an fpac to top-up, but if you add an fpac or sweetner you must add sorbate to the wine when you add the k-meta then wait about a week before adding the fpac. If you add an fpac or sweetner with out sorbate your wine may start to ferment again and if you have topped-up you may end up with it foaming over or through your airlock.If you have already added the k-meta thats ok, you can still add the sorbate before adding the fpac.

LOUMIK;)

Thanks loumik, I appreciate it!

Latest posts

Back