Air space

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am not a long time or experienced wine maker. Every thing I read says when you rack, top up afterwards. With what, water, other wine or? And I guess my real question is a bit of air space really that bad? Or something only a supertaster could pick up? I know topping up is standard orthodoxy but is it really that important?

This question is asked many times and answers are always the same and this is what I and most people follow. During fermentation headspace is not that important because the CO2 that is produced protect the wine but during aging process, headspace should be minimized. Sometimes you can use zinfandel which is quite neutral and will not change the taste of your wine. If you have a similar wine to the wine you make, this is probably the best option. A good practice is to start your must with a larger volume than your secondary (carboy) so you will top off with the exactly same wine when racking. Can you pick up a flavor of an oxidized wine? Absolutely. Unless you drank a few bottles before that. Just recently someone I visited treated me with a glass of wine he recently made and visually I knew it is oxidized. It was brownish and it had a sherry taste. When I saw the carboy (the wine was still aging and he just poured a glass from it) it explained everything.

Oxygen is certainly important but too much and too little can both cause problems depending on when they happen. Oxidation and loss off color are two examples. Other possible smells are cabbage, geraniums, nail polish remover, diesel fuel, burnt rubber, vinegar and more. I once experienced nail polish remover (ethyl acetate) a fraction of a second after opening. You could have a cold and still get punched in the face. So, yes, headspace is important.

Welcome to WMT!

Kit wine vendors claim that no topup is required, but that assumes you bottle on their schedule, which is 4 to 8 weeks from start. That includes fermentation and clearing time. The first few weeks the wine is protected as it's emitting a continuous layer of CO2, and after that a short period with head space doesn't cause significant harm. Numerous members have attested that this is fine.

If you are bulk aging longer, topup with a compatible wine, either the same type or something that complements the wine. Water dilutes your wine, so it's the absolute last resort.

I don't leave headspace for more than a few weeks after degassing. Whether the wine is truly safe or not, when I eliminate the head space, I know it's safe. Having dumped a few carboys in my time, I err on the side of caution.

Back