Aging in carboy

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chardon-man

Junior
Reaction score
I have 5 gal of strawberry white zin and is around 30 days old. Can i just keep it in the carboy for aging ? If i feel it is to sweet can i cut down the sweetness of the wine ??

This sounds like it is a wine cooler type wine...they usually do not need a lot of ageing....I do like to give them a month or so and they are about as nice as they will get...

As bert said, you will fine for a month or so in the carboy. As for the sweetness about the only way you could reduce this is to add a commercial dry Zin

you can age in the carboy for as long as you want ,but as far as the cutting down on the finish product i don,t think there's anything you can do- deluting it with other wines will impair the flavor especially if it's a kit wine,is there a chance it didn't ferment out all the way?

I would leave it alone (no delute). You can always SEND IT to me if you don't like it.
they are designed to be sweet. At this point TASTE it. The taste will not change from now to bottling. Do YOU like the taste?

These are called "patio wines" or coolers. Just add some ginger ale and sip it on a HOT day hmm.

If it is to sweet and is a fruit wine then IMO the right way to make this wine dryer would be to make another batch and start with a lower sg so that it ferments dry and add combine when done. as far as aging n the carboy thats is fine but make sure its done fermenting and then add some sulfite so the wine doesnt get oxidized over time.

The wine is a kit but added the whole f-pack of strawberry. Its only a month old since i started the primary .Its OK for the wife and that's all that matters .But i was just thinking of adding regular Zin to it to dilute it

You could dilute with regular Zin as you are thinking.....You might take a pint or so of your wine and add some Zin to it ..say start with an oz. at a time and taste and see if you like it....You may find something you really like...If so and your wife would like the sweeter wine , split the batch and bottle some her way and some your way....You will have two wines to choose from......Good Luck

While I'm letting this sit in the carboy should i add potassium metabisulfite ? I lov this site because i can ask any question and get an answer
smiley32.gif

Just remember for every 3 months aging add 1/4tsp of k-meta

Back