After Secondary Fermentation, Shall we leave the wine in carboys?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sbnmiky

Reaction score
My secondary fermentation isnt finished yet, still bubbling.....Ive read that I have to wait the fermentation to stop, then check with hydrometer for 3 consecutive days of same SG...then next steps or racking/bottling/bla bla bla.....

My question: whats the risk of leaving the wine for a month or more in the carboys.....when I see that the fermentation has stopped? Wouldn't this be better for the wine? Of course leaving airlock on , so no oxigen will get in...and leaving in the dark room.

No risk, Some of my wines spend 9 months or more in the carboy after fermentation is finished. I am sipping on a Zinfandel that spent over a year in the carboy. It is excellent!

No risk, Some of my wines spend 9 months or more in the carboy after fermentation is finished. I am sipping on a Zinfandel that spent over a year in the carboy. It is excellent!

But you generally rack it off the lees into another carboy?

But you generally rack it off the lees into another carboy?

Yeah good question, can you rack AFTER you leave the wine in carboys for months....or its better to rack of as soon as fermentation is finished?

Yes, when secondary is completed, rack. However, if the instructions say so, it is OK to leave the wine in secondary for a minimum time, even if fermentation is completed sooner. Nice things happen to a wine, when left on the lite lees (yeast) for a minimum of a couple weeks. But again, follow your instructions.

Back