Affordable Commercial Wines by Varietal: Cabernet Sauvignon

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Popped the cork on this one tonight. It's very dark, almost black int he glass. Inky, rich and full of dark mocha mingling with dark fruits. The name is apropos. A solid value at $12.

1012932_10100365009794579_1288833107_n.jpg

Popped the cork on this one tonight. It's very dark, almost black int he glass. Inky, rich and full of dark mocha mingling with dark fruits. The name is apropos. A solid value at $12.

1012932_10100365009794579_1288833107_n.jpg

Our friends brought some of that on the ski trip we took over New Years. It's very nice. Good value.

Hey, I missed these latest posts because they were on the second page! Thanks, gents.

I am off to the liquor store now, and intend to buy any and all of these that I can find.

Thanks!

I will be giving this thread a look the next time I go to the liqour store. Im currently neck deep in a cab sav/ pinot noir kick.

Okay, I visited my normal liquor store and my grocery store on the walk home from work. I scored 4 of the 7 cabs on my shopping list. Here are my local prices:
Liberty School: $16
Rodney Strong: $15
Louis Martini: on sale for $13
Carnivor: on sale for $10

My everyday quaff has crept up to a price point of $12, although I wouldn't mind finding a lower-priced wine to alternate it with. I did not make any attempt to shop around, so perhaps a better value on some of these can be gotten elsewhere, but so far, most of these are above my "everyday" line. (I will enjoy the experiment, however!)

I will have to go in search of some of the others. In the meantime, here is the rogues' gallery of these four:

fourcabs.jpg

H3 label going to Paper!

Just saw this little blurb from Columbia Crest. The H3 line of Wines are moving to all paper labels! Meaning of course we can now use/reuse the bottles instead of tossing them into the dumpster or recycle bin.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AUpscUwRTc[/ame]

Thats a no brainer for me. Columbia Crest H3 (Horse Heaven Hills AVA). Show me another $10 bottle of wine that constantly scores 90pts on Wine Spectator!

Columbia-Crest-H3-Cabernet-Sauvignon-2009.gif

Thank goodness! I hate painted bottles (for the reason you cite).

BTW, all you contributors, I will have an update soon on the wines you suggested that I was able to get and test.

Okay, you shamed me into it. I had been hoping to find and rate the missing labels before I posted again. But here is my interim report on the four mentioned above. I use a 20-point scale to rate wines.

The winner, BY FAR, was Louis M. Martini. (2011), $13 on sale. I gave it 17 points (which is about as high as I give almost anything south of Opus 1.) Here are my amateur tasting notes:

Upon opening: Color: Deeep purple! Languid, velvet, raspberry cake, round, mild, smooth. Almost like drinking a kringle. Boysenberry.

2nd night: Languid, smooth, floral, toffee finish, blackberry, black cherry.

-----------------------------------

Carnivor ($10): this was a disappointment in some respect. It seems like it was "doctored." I gave it 13. Tasting notes (verbatim):

Upon opening: Smooth, languid, cough syrup, boysenberry, artificial candy taste, slightly sweet. Bizarre deep purple color, nearly fluorescent. Loooooong legs. The legs themselves look purple. Very viscous. Artificial color and/or glycerol.

(Didn't make it to second night! The few drops of wine left in the glass to dry looked like day-glo purple the next day.)

Liberty School (2010), $16. I gave it a 15 the first night, plummeting to a 12 the second night.

Upon opening: Very nice, astringent, (Would be MUCH better in 5 years), smooth, fills the mouth, berry, spice, dry, cassis, floral.

2nd night: tart, lemon, berry, cedar, leather, lemongrass.

Rodney Strong (2011) $15: another disappointment. I gave it a 13 1st night and 12 second night.

Upon opening: tart, smoothish, astringent, acidic, blackberry, slight mineral note, pleasant finish

2nd night: smooth, tart, slightly astringent, toffee/coffee finish, figs.

I was out to dinner at an unfamiliar restaurant, and they had Louis Martini by the glass. Knowing this result, I jumped on that, and it did not disappoint. Just as good as I remembered it. Thinking about adding Louis Martini to the "house rotation!"

Paul,

While I like Carnivor, I agree completely with your assessment. It's delicious, but artificially sweet (like a lot of commercial reds these days). The legs and color are crazy for a wine in this price range. While I do enjoy drinking it, I can't help but wonder what's in there, aside from grapes and yeast.

Yes, I tasted the carnivore last night at a tasting. I'm pretty sure they have added a significant amount of probably petite sirah to that for the color. It is almost like some of our inky hybrid grapes. If you are looking for that classic cab to go with a meal, I think the LM would also be the best of the lot.

Sent from my iPad using Wine Making

One of the best ways that I've found to be able to try not only many new wines (new to me) and get a better understanding of the various variatals while paying next to nothing is by signing up at www.wtso.com, Wines till sold out, here is a blurb from their website:
WTSO focuses on selling wine at 30%-70% off original retail prices. One wine is sold at a time, and when the item has sold out a new wine offer will be presented and anyone who has signed up for our Email Notifications, follows us on Twitter or Facebook, or downloaded the Apple or Android mobile applications will get alerted. There is a free shipping offer on every order, and all orders are 100% Customer Satisfaction Guaranteed. There are no membership requirements to be a part of WTSO.com
You can purchase 1-30 bottles, but the amount of bottles/cases are limited.
The beauty of WTSO is that I've been able to get $60.00 $70.00 bottles of wine for just over $20.00!, at these prices, it allows you to have a much larger "pool" of wines to choose from
I've been able to explore wines that I wouldn't normally buy just to try the varietal, blend, vintage, vintner or winery.
The best deals that I jumped on were a Barolo Riserva 2005 150th Anniversary Bottle that was retailing for $200.00, I believe that I paid around $40.00, and a Brunello Riserva Col D'Orcia 2002, this was retailing for $150.00 and if I remember correctly, I purchased it for $39.00.
I've opened more than my share of Californian Cabernet Sauvignon, French Bordeaux, and all sorts of wines that caught my eye either by the rating or reputation.
Check it out, it is worth the two mins to sign up to get email notifications.

See if you can find McManis Family Vineyards Cab Sauv. Pretty good stuff!

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

I'll put up a bottle of CC H3 Cab against any of those. Had a bottle of 09' H3 cab the other night from the cellar still holding up like it could go another 5 years. This wine retails from Costco for $10.90 a bottle.

Just my $.02 worth in response to the query of good wines under $10.00. Charles Shaw proved that the $$$$ does not make the wine. Though now "upchuck" is $2.49/bottle in CA Trader Joes, the fact still remains that a good wine made the same way and likely from the same varietals as the pricey labels of Sonoma, Napa etal., can be had for enjoyment for far less. Lets face it,,, WE make our own and generally like it!!!! Cost per bottle??? Much less than $10.00

This was just released from WS Insider. The 2012 H3 Cabernet got a jaw dropping 92pts…….. :db

Columbia Crest
Cabernet Sauvignon Horse Heaven Hills H3 2012
92 points | $15 | 162,000 cases made | Red Dark and spicy, billowing with plum, currant and white chocolate flavors, picking up pear and white tea notes as the finish lingers with refinement. The tannins are submerged. Drink now through 2018.—H.S.

Mike,

I recently tried a bottle of H3 from costco at $12.99

It was superb...!!

I wish I could make that kind of wine so good.

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

Back