Affordable Commercial Wines by Varietal: Cabernet Sauvignon

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sour_grapes

Victim of the Invasion of the Avatar Snatchers
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My eventual goal is to principally drink wine that I have made and aged. However, it will take a long time to get my stock to that point. In the meantime, I have to buy some commercial wines (just to get the bottles, you understand ;) ).

We have had other threads that invite you to discuss your favorite wines. However, I want to foster a discussion with a little more focus. Specifically, I would like to ask you about your favorite wine in a particular category/varietal. Today, I'd like to ask you about Cabernet Sauvignon. Moreover, I would like to ask about wines that are affordable.

What is "affordable" depends both on the person and the taxes and prices that prevail in your area, of course. In my area, in which taxes are fairly low, the price point seems to be about $10. To give a better idea, you can get:
Frontera for $4
Rex Goliath for $6
Columbia Crest Two Vines for $8
Ravenswood for $9
Lots and lots for $10: Columbia Crest Grand Estates, Bogle, Gallo of Sonoma, etc. etc.
Chatea Ste. Michelle for $12

So, for my purposes, I am interested in hear about Cabernets that would fall (in my area) about $8 - $12.

Are you game? (If this works out, I'd like us to discuss other varietals or styles in future threads.)

(i'll post my pick in the next post, just to separate the intro from my pick.)

When talking about the best affordability for wines I tend to shay way from focussing on one varietal. Actually, I find the best values are blends. That QPR ration - Quality/Price ratio - is, to me, the important number. Not the exact price range. I find most of the best values for QPR at around $12. And some of the best values I have been finding lately are from Spain. Bierzo, Ribera del Duero, and some of the lesser known regions outside of Priorat and Rioja are offering some great values.

My current favorite a Cab by Leese-Fitch. I can get this for $10.
leese-fitch-wine-review.png

Here is a link to their tasting notes. The grapes are sourced from Monterey, Paso Robles, Clarksburg, River Junction, and Lodi, California.

It is pretty yummy. My own (amateurish) tasting notes say: Smooth, round (perhaps a touch thin), herbaceous, blueberry, pepper, cherry.

When talking about the best affordability for wines I tend to shay way from focussing on one varietal.

Greg, I am a big fan of blends. I am very glad that quality, domestic blends are becoming more common. It is kind of simpleminded to think that one varietal can deliver everything we want! However, the varietal system is not exactly going away, and I thought it would be useful to limit the discussion to one particular one. I had fully intended (if this idea gains any traction at all) to discuss certain blends.

When talking about the best affordability for wines I tend to shay way from focussing on one varietal. Actually, I find the best values are blends. That QPR ration - Quality/Price ratio - is, to me, the important number. Not the exact price range. I find most of the best values for QPR at around $12. And some of the best values I have been finding lately are from Spain. Bierzo, Ribera del Duero, and some of the lesser known regions outside of Priorat and Rioja are offering some great values.

I agree with Greg hundred percent. I would also add there are some great QPR wines from southern Italian varietals such as nero d'avola. Also good QPR montepulciano d abbruzo wines.

One of my fav's is Rodney Strong Cab 2009 - $14

Thanks, HenryMae. Mmmmm, I think I feel a $14 experiment coming on! Coming on "Strong," in fact.

Thats a no brainer for me. Columbia Crest H3 (Horse Heaven Hills AVA). Show me another $10 bottle of wine that constantly scores 90pts on Wine Spectator!

Good call, Mike! I have a case of Columbia Crest Horse Heaven Hills Merlot aging in my basement. I really like H3; I was fortunate enough to live VERY close to there for half a year. I must admit that I have not yet tried CC H3 Cab., though. That will change! (I just wish they didn't use those painted bottles -- tough to relabel! :^) )

hahaha I would love to jump in on this because right now cabs are my fav, but being in Canada our wines are priced much different than yours.
IE your Frontera for $4 is $10 here. So your $10 wines are more than doubled in price as well.(this is why I make my own.)
I do like the cabernet sauvignon - louis martini sonoma county wine but here it's about $20 a bottle.So not something I grab for everyday drinking.
If I grab a $10 bottle of wine here it would be equivalent to your $4 ones which means nothing good Lol

What is "affordable" depends both on the person and the taxes and prices that prevail in your area, of course.

So, for my purposes, I am interested in hear about Cabernets that would fall (in my area) about $8 - $12.

hahaha I would love to jump in on this because right now cabs are my fav, but being in Canada our wines are priced much different than yours.
IE your Frontera for $4 is $10 here. So your $10 wines are more than doubled in price as well.(this is why I make my own.)
I do like the cabernet sauvignon - louis martini sonoma county wine but here it's about $20 a bottle.So not something I grab for everyday drinking.
If I grab a $10 bottle of wine here it would be equivalent to your $4 ones which means nothing good Lol

Kim, I understand that, and that is why I tried to set the scale of what costs what in my area, rather than just say "best wine under $12." Clearly that would be nearly meaningless; I understand that prices are so much higher in some other areas. (Don't worry, it has not escaped my attention that a disproportionate number of Canadians make their own wine!)

So, pretty please, can you share what your favorite cabs are, not worrying about what their price tags are in your neck of the woods? Thanks very much!

Renacer Punto Final Cabernet Sauvignon – Argentina
This is a quote:
Wine Description

Punto Final Cabernet Sauvignon is handcrafted with grapes from Renacer's low-yielding estate vineyard in Perdriel. The grapes were harvested from two select parcels known for their extraordinary quality, and the wine was aged in French oak barrels, providing added complexity, smooth tannins and an elegant bouquet.
Tasting Notes

It is a deep purple color with aromas of dark fruit, red berry and spice notes which combine nicely in the mouth offering flavors of plum and cherry, with a jammy personality and good structure. The mouthfeel is elegant, and the finish lingers with good acidity.

This one is awesome for the price. About $17 Canadian

Thank you, Kim. That one sounds awesome, indeed. I have not seen this in my stores, BUT, one of my local specialty stores will order just about anything.

I have developed a strong liking for Argentine wines; Chilean, too (although I realize they tend to differ quite a bit). I will try this one. Thanks again.

The Merlot from 2010 was good but a little rough around the edges as they say. Only scored 89pts WS. It went great with pizza/italian still. My favorite is actually the H3 Les Chevaux blend of Syrah, Merlot and Cab Sauv. The blend changes each year. for 2010 it was predominately Merlot and scored (again) 90pts WS. I am still able to source this wine online but its getting harder and harder to find as the 2011 vintage is released. I bought double Mag bottles of both the Cab Sauv and Les Chevaux for future parties! You have to toss these bottles as they are painted….. :(

504fed171dc89-preview-620.jpg

I really like H3; I was fortunate enough to live VERY close to there for half a year. I must admit that I have not yet tried CC H3 Cab., though. That will change! (I just wish they didn't use those painted bottles -- tough to relabel! :^) )

Go to Costco - look for a 2007 Rioja, black label, 92pts, $10, as good as any red I have drunk. It's big and you'll be back for more. My last trip I bought 10 bottles. Next trip, I empty the shelves.

Hello Paul ,

My favorite cabernet is Liberty School Cabernet Sauvignon .
It is from Paso Robles . Please keep in mind that I am from Canada .:b

Hello Paul ,

My favorite cabernet is Liberty School Cabernet Sauvignon .
It is from Paso Robles . Please keep in mind that I am from Canada .:b

See, this is good information -- I had never even heard of this wine; now I gots to try it! I am truly glad I asked about this.

Thank you, Kim. That one sounds awesome, indeed. I have not seen this in my stores, BUT, one of my local specialty stores will order just about anything.

I have developed a strong liking for Argentine wines; Chilean, too (although I realize they tend to differ quite a bit). I will try this one. Thanks again.

I guarantee you won't be disappointed. I'm that sure of it!...(maybe,lol)

37 two thumbs up.gif

Funny, I just had the Leese-Fitch on Thursday. I agree, it is a nice bottle of wine for the price. And I'm a fan of the H3 anything. We had a blind wine tasting last night with our wine group and the 2011 H3 merlot came out a shining winner amongst some other higher end wines. Liberty School is rock solid. All good suggestions. Wish I could add more to the discussion. I need to start trying more cabs in this price point.

I don't remember the exact price point, but it is close to this. Dreaming Tree Wines Cab Sauv. Very tasty.

Dreaming Tree "Crush" was my house red for a while. I think the last two vintages have been lacking though, and it haven't bought any in a while.

As a big Dave Matthews fan though, I'm willing to cut him some slack. :) I need to get to Blenheim Vineyards - his place in Charlottesville. It's only 90 minutes from here.

Back