Advice needed for next season

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

efBobby

Reaction score
during my first year/practice run I encountered all sorts of grape pests as it seems they are the favorite food for almost everything!

I also encountered some cultivation info as well. Meaning during the spring it is all but too easy to root cuttings but as the seasons progress soil/root temp plays a big role in everything so one needs more shade, bigger pots etc.

I was able to handle most of the pests as they appeared but one in particular gave me problems. My best guess is a grape cane borer but I have read there are preventative steps one can take; however the timing is most critical since I want to stop them before they lay eggs/before they hatch.

I did get lucky in the fact that my most coveted rupestris root cuttings were late to put up vegetation so they were spared.

So far I have gathered that you can apply reflective material on the ground to confuse the moths, apply some sort of barrier around the bottom of the trunk and apply something like sevin to the earth. Post invasion you can apply a pesticide called dichlorvos to the wound to kill the bug inside but getting the stuff is problematic.

So for next year in regards to applying sevin to stymie the moths...when is the best time to do so?

When should I be scouting for eggs? Is there anything that can kill the eggs before they hatch?

Lastly, any additional tips such as the reflective to confuse moths or sand to discourage phylexora?

Last edited:
I used sevin in every tank mix through out the season. there are other pests during the year that deserve this treatment. no treatment for root phylexora other than grafting to immune root stock.

Ok, thanx.

It appears phylexora isn't really a big issue where I am at. There was some but it was killed quickly and the vines all but ignored it.

As I take in more info I am able to better read the plants. Based off observations to date it seems the 2 biggest pests are vine borers and root nematodes.

Back