Adding water during fermentation - chocolate mead

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coaster

Reaction score
I'm in a bit of a bind with fermentors.

Can I make the batch up to 5 gals in a 6 gal carboy, allow the SG to drop below, say 1.020, then add the 1 gal of missing water (rack if needed) and add an airlock?Edited by: Coaster

What are you making as the starting Sg might be to strong and over power the yeast.

Chocolate mead,1.162 starting SG (used a yeast starter). Edited by: Coaster

I would not try this as the SG is already extremely high and diluting the water would only concentrate it and make the SG even higher and stress the yeast which will kill it or cause some off flavors.

The SG was the diluted value. After adding 1 gal is should drop to a starting value of 1.130. It's going now (not vigorous) but it's similar to my ancient orange mead. I'll give it 3 more days then check the SG, top up maybe, and add an airlock. It taste like honey and chocolate right now.

That is the diluted value, what would the Sg be un-diluted and where do you expect this to finish up around? What yeast did you use? This either going to be jet fuel or really sweet from residual sugar when done! Sweet is the way I would like this by the way. Will you post a recipe and I would like to see some pics of this.

20 pounds of honey
24 oz of Hershey's cocoa powder
4 tea bags (steep in hot water, add the water, throw away the tea bags)
2 tsp of acid blend
7 tsp of nutrient
3/4 tsp energizer
2 packs of Red Star Premier Curveee wine yeast

Make a starter with 1 pint warm water, tsp of sugar, pinch of nutrient and two packs of yeast.

Put honey into fermenter

put teabags in hot water, set aside

blend 4 oz ofcocoa in 2-3 cups of water at a time, add to honey, repeat until cocoa powder is gone

strain tea bags, add water, acid blend, nutrient, and energizer to honey

SG should be about 1.130 (it was 1.162 for me but I only have it at 5 gals at the moment, that should be 1.139 when I add the other gal of water)

add yeast starter gently (pour over back of spoon), do not stir

cover

at 24 hours stir shallowly

at 48 hours stir deeply

when violent fermentation is complete, transfer to carboy, add airlock

use up to 4 pounds of honey throughout the rest of the process to top up. Once the 4 pounds is gone, use water (I'll probably use marbles instead of water).

Rack at 30 days,4 months, and7 months (add sorbate and k-meta).

Bottle and set aside for 3 or more months.

This should end up sweet (~1.020) and chocolaty.Edited by: Coaster

SG at 48 hours is 1.100

20070909_180623_chocolate_mead_.jpg

Sounds very interesting, keep us informed as to how this works out and tastes.

SG at 72 hours is 1.075 so it's cooking, just hope I pick the right point to add the missing 1 gal
smiley5.gif

I racked and added the missing gal. SG after topping up was 1.032. Now we wait 30 days.

Back