Adding or blending black cherry wine.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockinH5

Junior
Reaction score
Wondering what I can add or blend to black cherry wine? I’m about to move it to the secondary and I’d like to maybe add something to improve it some. I’m afraid it may turn out a bit like cough syrup if I don’t add something. I’ll do the typical things that are common at this stage.

I did a dark & sour cherry wine for the first time this summer. 5gl has been on oak chips the past 2+ months. I rack in 3 weeks. I had the same thoughts about cough syrup. I also had 2 gallons extra and back sweetened one, it was too sweet for me, but everyone else like it a lot. The other gallon is dry and ok. I'm hoping age and some oak improve it. But will experiment further with different sweetening levels on some.

I did a black cherry concord. Very good and tasty even dry. I'll admit I made mine from. Welches black cherry concord concentrate (sorry @JohnT ) and it surprised me that it was so good even dry since I like a semi sweet to sweet wine.

Thanks y'all.

My aim is to make it smoother to drink and not be so harsh. I may just be overly paranoid that it won't turn out well. I'd like to try adding oak chips or something like that, but not clear on the process. I suppose I could just back sweetin it, or maybe blend it with another wine. I prefer dry wine myself, but in the end I get more satisfaction in sharing, so a good drinkable wine is good enough for me. Thoughts?

I did a black cherry concord. Very good and tasty even dry. I'll admit I made mine from. Welches black cherry concord concentrate (sorry @JohnT ) and it surprised me that it was so good even dry since I like a semi sweet to sweet wine.

I did a few blackberry/concord and blueberry/concord with Welches a few years ago that were not bad.

Thanks y'all.

My aim is to make it smoother to drink and not be so harsh. I may just be overly paranoid that it won't turn out well. I'd like to try adding oak chips or something like that, but not clear on the process. I suppose I could just back sweetin it, or maybe blend it with another wine. I prefer dry wine myself, but in the end I get more satisfaction in sharing, so a good drinkable wine is good enough for me. Thoughts?

Hit Post Reply without adding anything. Aging a bit will tame some of the harshness. Not sure how the oaked cherry is going to taste but wanted to give it a try. Dry and not oaked or sweetened it is ok , back sweetened and chilled it was better.

Hmm, interesting idea.
I have 3 gallons of black cherry wine in carboy, and 5 gallons of coronation, which are similar to concord.
Might need to try test blend.

Do a little bench testing before you add anything to the whole batch. Small samples, mix them at different amounts til you find one you like. Keep track of the amount of each and you can do larger amounts to get the same results.

Back