Adding K-meta to carboy

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CassieV

Reaction score
Newbie bulk aging question. I have an MM OVZ coming up on 3 mths bulk aging & I was going to add 1/4 tsp kmeta to it. What's the easiest way to go about doing this? I also bought an accuvin free S02 kit recently, should I test it before adding kmeta? Thanks for the help.

If you have a test kit then surely this is the time to use it in stead of just blindly adding. The best way to add k-meta is to dissolve it in a little bit of water or even better a little bit of wine extracted from the carboy with a sanitized wine thief or the likes and then add back after k-meta is dissolved in it.

I would also check and if you have more sediment that has dropped then I would go ahead and rack it off that first and then add the kmeta

Here is another option. If you added your included dose of K-Meta right when you stabilized and fined and now your at 3 months out, I would add the 3mo dose and hold on to the test kit and then test it just before bottling.

I usually test before adding my top up dose, get the result, and then do the math and calculate what the new theoretical result would bring you up to and then bottle that bad boy.

Of course if you have test kits fixing to expire you want to use them up for sure!

Thanks for the advice. This is the 1st wine I've aged in a carboy longer than 3 mths. There is a little bit of sediment on the bottom so I think I'll take Waldo's advice & rack then add kmeta. I've never used the tests before so I might test just so I can figure out what I'm doing. I don't think they are about to expire b/c I just got them last month but I'll double check to be sure.

Latest posts

Back