adding coffee, how to and how much?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hobbyiswine

Reaction score
I sprinkled some coffee grounds into some red wine last night. I let it sit a few minutes then put a coffee filter over a new glass and let the wine drip through. The result was pretty good! Now i guess i need to make some :)

Who has done this before? I think adding the grounds to finished wine will be easiest/best. How much to add? Tsp/tbl per gallon?

Anyone used the little single serving pouches like they have in hotels? i think i might be able to cram one or more into a carboy and keep the coffee contained.

How long to keep the coffee in the wine? Obviously its a matter of taste but seemed like the coffee infuses into the wine very very very quickly. Also, the coffee aroma was much stronger than the flavor. I am sure this will vary with the coffee but anyone that has done this did you notice a stronger aroma vs taste? Does the aroma stay well in the wine or fade quickly after bottling? I know this is a lot of questions but any input from those of you that have done this would be great!

Hi. I know this was an old post but I also wonder about this.

I've never added it preferment, but I think i might try that on the next one. What ive done is I have added some instant coffee crystals after its been racked once or twice but where it still may have 6 months to go. I think i added it at 2-3 tsb per gallon.

Now I'm not trying to make coffee flavored wine, I just want to add a little hint of flavor.

Anyone have any other suggestions?

Hi. I know this was an old post but I also wonder about this.

I've never added it preferment, but I think i might try that on the next one. What i've done is I have added some instant coffee crystals after its been racked once or twice but where it still may have 6 months to go. I think i added it at 2-3 tbsp per gallon.

Now I'm not trying to make coffee flavored wine, I just want to add a little hint of flavor.

Anyone have any other suggestions?

I have added several handfuls (I know that's an exact measurement) of coffee beans to a quart jar of vodka, let sit, closed up for about 2-6 months. Strain coffee beans out when you are happy with the smell and taste. Add at about the same rate as you said, 2-3 tbsp / gallon. To your taste. I do the same thing with vanilla, cinnamon, chocolate, it really can be done with anything. Basically you are making extracts of flavors. Very easy to just add a hint to a wine.

Ive heard about people making extracts using vodka or even things like everclear, but I've always been worried that adding vodka would affect the taste of the wine. I guess you just have to add a very small amount? I've never done it but I have thought about it.

Hmmm.... Once upon a long time ago, something I made(?) used vanilla extract. It's been sitting in the fridge ever since. I'm going to add it to my next glass of wine. :)

You should read making a Fpac ,uses and making extract, as fat as adding coffee beans or extract,yr t putting instant coffee into the primary,after final. Racking and allowing it to sit it acuactually adds a chocolate background taste to the mix.its fun to play with your wine.

Last edited:
It all depends on how much and what your referring to, what I've found is a raw.about 16 ozs to 6 gallon batch or 5 doesn't matter.

fruit( fpac) is what's required for best all around performance, extracts themselves does a better job in others alcohol products . coffees are a different story in their raw state ( bean) then finely ground take on a very different ( instant coffee) profile.

Latest posts

Back