Added sugar on first racking..oops!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kewanee

Junior
Reaction score
I have Concords but not many as they are just establishing themselves. Sooo, added 3 cans of 100% grape concentrate and about 4lbs. of additional store bought concords and a big container of pure grape juice.
Well at first in the primary nothing happened and 48 hours later I of course added the yeast with my must bags in the primary. Oh she did great.
When my hydrometer got to 1.030 is it....I siphoned it off into the secondary with is a 3gl. Did not top up.
So with C.J.J. Berry's book in hand I looked at what to do. Incidentally it was strong tasting. Couldn't imagine just water, darn it. Anyways looking in the book which is terribly english in it's equations, and got the idea to add sugar to boiled water to top off the secondary which I did when cooled. Well let me tell you she is cooking. Really took off and it's about three days now and she is doing some pretty fast fermenting still. I worry she'll kill herself off from to much sugar and an inappropriate time. I had only put 12 cups of water in my primary when I began and a five pound bag of sugar. I would liked to have avoided that as Jack Keller does. But anyways, I went by taste and the fact that my 8-10lbs of actual grapes didn't seem to be fermenting on their own. So it didn't have alot of sugar or water to begin with.
I'm looking for opinions here. When I added to the secondary to top it off I did so at the rate of 1/3 cup of sugar to the half pint of water X 4 times. In the book, and probably the way I interpreted it. It tasted good and semi sweet when added, which is what I'm looking for.
Just need opinions on what people think of adding at this time and the fact that she is fermenting really guite alot in the secondary. How long should it normally be in the secondary to begin with? I had read 4-6 weeks. I worry of course about her stopping prematurely.
What does anybody think about this boo-boo please?
~Kewanee

It is not neccessarily a booboo. It is often done to increase alcohol content. You are correct, sometimes this leads to a stuck fermentation or a high alcohol wine with residual sugar. Do you know what the beginning SG was and the type of yeast you used? You will leave it alone now until fermentation ceases, hopefully when the wine is completely dry. An unchanged SG for a few days indicates a finished fermentation. SG under 1.000 indicates a dry wine.

Does this help any?

Red Star Premier Cuvee is the yeast I used. I just looked at her and she is having a little less activity and a more steady fermenting process. I only did the hydrometer reading when time for first racking. Never did an SG after that. You asked, Does this help any?!" Oh yes. Makes me feel much better.
I am just hoping she stays there and ferments for a good while.
How long usually should you see fermenting in the secondary?
Thank you for that information.
~Kewanee

It depends alot on temp, health of yeast, yeast type, amount of sugar available, and the Good Lord only knows what else. Keep us informed and we will help where we can. An SG reading when finished will help.

Well I don't think it has to much sugar and it is a good yeast apparently. It has good temp. as it is just off the open living room with a constant wood stove going. Kinda just comfortable in the kitchen. I sure appreciate your help. I will pay more attention to the SG from now on. It's bubbling at about one per second. A bit much. We'll just have to wait and see I guess where she stops and when.
Thank you again.
~Kewanee
smiley9.gif

If you did not add any yeast nutrient in the beginning, it might help to add some when the ferment slows down alot. It might help anyway. Sometimes when the yeast have worked extra hard at converting all that sugar into CO2 and alcohol, they need a little extra help. Just stir it in.

Thank you! I do have yeast nutrient and had added a little at the beginning in the primary. Why I don't know. But yes, have some.
She's still perking good.
~Kewanee

Latest posts

Back