Acidity levels bad??

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sp33dymonk3y

Reaction score
For my white wine I used 4.5 ml of solution,Finally turned pink. That's like acidity 112.5%!! Lol dang I bought acid blend to bring it up should have bought something to take it down yes? Lol now the red wine I used 1.5 ml of solution which comes up to 37.5% acidity level and I already put 1 1/2 tsp of acid blend which brings it up to 60%

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

Oh important thing I am using one gallons so the measurements of acid blend are correct :)

:S caution do not just dump the acid blend and yeast nutrient all at once.. Foams up extremely quick >.^

I don't understand what you mean by percent acid level. 112.5% acid???

Perhaps you can give us more details of your acid measurement. I assume you are doing a titration with sodium hydroxide. What size was your wine sample and what concentration was your NaOH solution?

Sodium hydroxide yes. I had 6 ml in my syringe and had 1.5 ml left which means I used 4.5 ml.. Which 4.5 x .25 is 1.125 which would be 112.5% correct?..

I thought you multiplied by 1.5. That would give you 6.75 g/L. Pretty darn close to where you want to be.

Last edited:
U don't multiply what u have left lol you multiply what u have used and I used 4.5 ml not 1.5ml. But yeah I used 1.5ml on my red wine which 1.5 is like 35% I think? Anyways I added acid blend to bring it to 60%

How you calculate acidity depends on what size your sample of wine was and what the concentration of the NaOH solution is. Can you please tell me how many mL of wine you used and if your NaOH was 0.1N or 0.2N?

And, the units are in grams per liter tartaric acid. The way you talk about percent is confusing.

Last edited:
U don't multiply what u have left lol you multiply what u have used and I used 4.5 ml not 1.5ml. But yeah I used 1.5ml on my red wine which 1.5 is like 35% I think? Anyways I added acid blend to bring it to 60%

Sorry, I meant multiply your 4.5ml by 1.5. That gives you 6.75 g/L or 0.675%. But Greg is right, we need more details.

Last edited:
What I'm really asking is 112.5% acidity is bad right? Will need to be lowered correct? For white wine.

Okay so yesterday I had to add acid blend to my red wine because it was low, today I tested and I used 3 ml of wine and 6 ml of water to the test jar, the 6 ml of water to lighten the color which the instructions say to do for red wines or dark color wines after testing I used 2.7ml of solution out of 3ml, which 2.7 x .25 = .675 which in % it is 67.5% pretty good :)

Last edited:
Idk that wine wine taste bad anyways all I can taste is te alcohol in it, it is like 10% abv today. I'm just focused on my red wine really, I never had white wine before so I thought id try it lol

Ok, I presume you are using 0.1N NaOH but after asking twice, you still haven't provided that information. It does make sense with your titration, though.

With a 3 mL sample of wine that required 2.7 mL of 0.1N NaOH, your TA would be 0.675% or 6.75 g/L tartaric.

67.5% and 112.5% that you talked about earlier make no sense at all. How could 2/3 of your wine be tartaric acid? It's mostly water. The alcohol is inly 13% or so, right?

Anyway, your TA of .675% is probably just fine.

By the way, Fermcalc can calculate this for you easily.

http://web2.airmail.net/sgross/fermcalc/

Yeah I didn't know what NaOH was sorry :S well my red was 30% yesterday so I added acid blend and today it is up to 67.5% so perfect:) now the white wine yeah I don't know.. I mean it's not all that sour either.. It does have an H2S problem if that makes a difference, it reeks of eggsmell which I did not use yeast nutrient on it because I didn't have it at the time but I have some now... It's kind of sour but not 112% sour..? I don't it starte out as one gallon and now it's at half a gallon because my brother liked it lol.. Like I said the white wine was an experiment and I don't like white wine.. I'll stick with reds:) thank you

Okay so the formula or samples I am taking is called NaOH1?

I just tested the white wine again. I had 6 ml in my syringe, I used 4.5ml.. 4.5 x .25 = 1.125 which equals to 112.5%..

Latest posts

Back