Acid Testing

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackfin1

Reaction score
Can someone help me out. I am in the process of making a blueberry wine and I would like to test the acidity. When do I test for acidity, is it after I add water, sugar and fruit? before fermentation. Or some other time during the process?

I notice on all the fruit recipes they call for adding a small amount of Acid Blend. WHy would you add acid blend if the fruit is already acidic? And shouldnt you test for acid first?

I threw out a batch of raspberry wine because if was too sour, I am hoping that this batch of blueberry will work out.
Thanks,
Sal

You should never add acid w/o doing an acid test or ph reading.

I check TA before i add the yeast in. I also check it after fermentation is complete and I am about to backsweeten (for an off dry wine) - for a dry wine - i just check when fermentation is done.

IMO, you test the acidity of the juice from the fruit before you add water to it. Then add the amount of water required to make the acidity correct.

This will give you the most fruit per gallon (better flavor and body) and prevent diluting the acidity, then turning around and adding acidity back.

Bob and Jon:
makes sense, thanks for the clarification. Should the TA for blueberry juice with water added be about .6? And should it be about the same after fermentation?
Thanks Again,
Sal

Last edited:
Is there a reason you are adding water? We never use water in our wines, but maybe there is a use for it in blueberry. We never make blueberry wine so I'm not sure about water's use in that fruit.

Get your pectic enzyme in the must on the first day, then check your PH the following day and adjust as needed before pitching yeast. The pectic enzyme will break down some of the fruit to give you a more accurate reading. If using water, get it in there and test the PH because water will raise the PH.

I use water - but not a lot.

I use mostly juice - I might add in a pint of warm/boiling water - this helps to break down the pulp as well.

Turock is right - get the pectic in there and try to use very little water if any at all.

Not to highjack the thread, but I have an acid related question also. I'm getting a PH meter soon and wondering can I adjust my acid levels of my ageing wines that have already been backsweetened? Thanks.

Yes, you can adjust post ferment. If you are trying to reduce acid, use potassium carbonate and be sure to use it at least 3-4 months before you intend to bottle because it requires that amount of time for the components to metabolize and to clear.

Acid adjustments work so much better at the primary because everything gets well integrated. So get used to doing this adjustment at the primary from now on. Knowing your PH is important so that you know how much SO2 your wines should have.

Latest posts

Back