Acid test empty

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,

New here and to winemaking.

We crushed grapes on Monday and held in fridge to cold soak after adding campden tablets.

Bought acid test and went to test tonight before adding yeast and the Phenolph thalein bottle was empty So don't appear to be able to test acid and balance before adding yeast.

Should I :

1. leave out for 24 hours and test and add yeast tomorrow.
2. As above but put back in fridge?
3. Test sugar and add yeast tonight and test acid tomorrow?

First, welcome to WMT

This is a food system in process so the yeast need to get going before bacterial systems take over. Traditional processes would hope for two to three days.
TA doesn't matter in a primary fermentor. The control point/ fence keeping bacteria down is pH. You should have pH under 3.8 fro red and under 3.5 for white or fruits. TA can be adjusted at bottle time. TA could be lowered after fermentation if it tastes really acidic.,,, ex chill to precipitate tartrate crystals,,, or add more to taste (cause the yeast are done) Do you have pH paper or meter? Paper is ok on whites but hard to read on reds.
You didn’t say anything about what kind of grape. Traditional varieties are bread to be in line with process goals. If this is a vinifera you could ignore TA

I would get it to room temperature and make sugar adjustments then add yeast. I would taste and get a feeling if it is too acidic or needs more acid. Note chilling removes tartaric acid.

Last edited:
Thanks for the comprehensive response.

We have well established Cab Sauv grapes freshly picked Sunday and crushed Monday. Refrigerated until Tuesday and Camden's added. Was hoping to test and add yeast tonight.

I don't have pH test currently. I'll grab tomorrow.

So am I reading right, I can add yeast tomorrow 3 days?

Should I leave unrefrigerated until rhen?

Yeast activity will be best if your must is around 70F so yes, get it out of the fridge and let it warm up.

While it’s warming make a yeast starter by mixing your yeast in a few cups of 90F water with a teaspoon of sugar and a 1/2 t or so of yeast nutrient let that sit until your must has warmed up. When they are the same temperature pour it in one spot in the primary fermentater but don’t stir for a day, then you should be off to the races.

What is your primary fermentation vessel? An open bucket with a loose fitting lid or towel over the top is best. The young yeast need oxygen when they are reproducing and you need to stir it a few times a day as well.

Keep posting questions. I haven’t used Cab Sauv but many here have. They can weigh in with specific suggestions.

And welcome to WMT

Latest posts

Back