Acid Testing: When and is it too late?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WineyTexan

Reaction score
I finally got brave enough to read the directions included in the acid test I have. After several tries, few cuss words and then looking through the tutorial posted on this forum (thank you so much!) I took my first acid test. How often do you test for acid during the wine making process?

Also a very important question: I have several wines already started that I did not check the acid level. A Plum Wine that is fermented to dry and a Persimmon which isn't dry yet but very close. Can I check the acid level now and adjust?

You may and should test the acid when you mix your ingredients. This is when you can make adjustments if needed rather than throw in some acid blend just because the recipe called fo it.

After your wine has cleared you may test again as some acids will/may drop out thru the cold stabilizing and clearing stage.

[then looking through the tutorial posted on this forum (thank you so much!)] You're welcome.

When testing your acid levels in wine, do you use an actual acid kit or have you used the acid testing PH strips from the good old days of jr high?

The ph strips measures the PH of the wine - you need a TA test kit to test the TA levels in your wine.

I do acid tests 3 or 4 timed during the winemaking process. I initially adjust the acid after crushing grapes and adjust to simply get reasonable close to the target level.

It is not too late to adjust acid. I can not stree how important it is to maintain the proper acid level for a wine's longevity. Even if the wine is finished, I would still test and adjust the acid. The benefits to doing this are protection against mircobes and also protection from oxidation.

Test it and adjust ASAP.

The ph strips measures the PH of the wine - you need a TA test kit to test the TA levels in your wine.

Yes completely agree with you and I too do the same and it makes the work much easier and I dont have to get some other stuffs for this.

I have a one gallon batch of Jalapeno Wine that tests 5.5 and I'd like it to be at 6. How much more acid blend should I add? Any suggestions?

I have started testing the other musts I have in various stages of fermentation. I posted a question about my Wild Plum Wine being too acidic and I hope you will post any suggestions to help with that. I also checked my Persimmon Wine and before I start adjusting I want to make sure I am reading the test correctly. When I put the drops of Sodium Hydroxide in the test tube with the must sample, the color just sits on the top and doesn't mix through the entire sample even if I swirl it. Do I take a reading only if the entire sample turns pinkish? It looks like a parfait of vanillia and strawberry.

Back