Acid reduction

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hmiddle3

Junior
Reaction score
I recently "stepped up" my game a little and began checking the acid level in my primary, rather than simply going by a recipie. The kit I have uses a test tube, seringe and chemicals, requiring that I monitor color change. I thought I could see the color change and it dictated that I add much more acid blend than the recipie called for. Figuring that the fruit could certainly vary, I apparently added WAY too much. I've got a plum wine that tastes like Sour Patch Kids.. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated..

Thats why I dont like those test kits and bought a ph meter to check both the ph and ta much more accurately. Have you started fermenting yet? If is not started yet use Calcium Carbonate, if its fermenting already use Potassium Bicarbonate. Do not exceed the recommended dosage though and cold stabilization will be needed either way on top of using these chemicals. Potassium will change your PH more then the calcium does.

Guess I should have added that I started it in June and have racked it a couple of times already. Its been stabilized and wanted to let it bulk age a little longer before bottling. Will the Potassium still be the way to go? I'll definitly need to get a PH meter..

Yes, the potassium is the way to go along with cold stabilization as both will be probably needed although you havent specified the ta. it just goes to show you that you should also taste instead of just relying on numbers, Its what I do. I learned that from Waldo as he doesnt even use any testing at all.

When you say cold stabilization, I'm assuming you mean K-meta, right?

As for the ta, I'm not sure since it was by color too. I'll have to go back to just going by recipie and taste, at least until I get a meter. Do you recomend onein particular?I'll have to tune my taste buds to it, they arent that good yet..

Cold Stabilization means to drop the temp of the wine to say 36 degrees and maintain that temp for 2-3 weeks. This will let the potassium bicarbonate along with some of the acid to drop out of suspention.

BOB

I have only used one meter and its the Hanna PHEP from George. It works great and is very easy to use and also waterproof.

fivebk said:
Cold Stabilization means to drop the temp of the wine to say 36 degrees and maintain that temp for 2-3 weeks. This will let the potassium bicarbonate along with some of the acid to drop out of suspention.

BOB

Oh, I'll have to investigate how I'll do that..

So, does that mean when you put the potassium bicarbonate in, you wont notice an immediate difference?? I did try a very small ammountlast night on a glassthat I had poured, to see how it worked. It wasnt drastic, but I thought I noticed some of the edge had been take off. I was worried that my taste buds were just shocked from the initial swig..

Wade said:
I have only used one meter and its the Hanna PHEP from George. It works great and is very easy to use and also waterproof.

I'll see if I can find it. Thanks,

So, I did a gallon with the potassium bicarbonate and have kept it in the fridge. It's definitly working.. Thanks for the help!! Now I'll have to do the rest..

Latest posts

Back