Quantcast

Acid Problem

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

lv2mkwn

Junior
Reaction score
Hello all,
Made a batch of Calif. Merlot juice about 5 months ago.....fermentation went fine...added oak cubes and it has been resting for about four months now in a 5 gal carboy...checked Ph today and found it to be 3.15...seems a little low for this type of juice....tastes a bit acidy...anything I can do to improve taste and reduce acidity? Someone told me Calif grape is very acidy and I should have adjusted the must before fermentation....too late now ....is this wine too far gone or is there some trick someone out there knows to soften the taste a little....I appreciate all responses...thanks:confused:

Wine Maker

Rocco
Reaction score
Do you know what the Tartaric Acid reading is? pH for red wine should ideally be between 3.3 and 3.6. So while your's is a liitle on the low side without knowing how much acid is in the wine it's hard to anwser your question.

lv2mkwn

Junior
Reaction score
Thanks Winemaker for responding....I believe my Merlot is 10g/L which if I am correct is high...I believe this type of wine should be between 6 and 8g/L...I have tartaric acid...citric acid and acid blend but I do not have anything to reduce acid....someone told me about egg whites to soften but I am not sure....any suggestions would be greatly appreciated...thanks

Luc

Dutch Winemaker
Reaction score
Egg whites will reduce tannins and therfore make your wine less harsch.
It will also clear the wine.
But egg-whites do not lower acid.

For lowering acid I would visit the local home brew store
and ask for acidex or even sodium bicarbonate.
They will do the trick.

10 g/l is much to high. You should aim for around 6 for a red wine
and around 7 for a white. Depending on taste that is :D

Luc

lv2mkwn

Junior
Reaction score
Thanks Luc...I will get some acidex and let you know how it turns out

Latest posts