acid levels

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcrnbrd

Reaction score
I started a lemon wine 4 days ago. My question is what should the acid content be at for the yeast to ferment? I have a stuck fermentation and I am looking for the reason. The only thing I can think of is the acid level. I am going to check it tonight.

Should be between .65 -.70 If below .50 you will have a very slow or non existent fermentation. Im not sure what the point is for being to high is but Im guessing .95

Edited by: wade

Ok the results were .70. maybe its just a stuck fermentation. I started a yeast starter to try and kick it back up tomorrow. Any other ideas?

Where is the SG running? What was the beginning SG and has it moved? I would monitor that before questioning the acid. I would also make sure the pH was above 3.0.

The beginning sg was 1.085. Last night when I checked it was 1.090. I dont have any way to check ph. I dropped the hydrated yeast this morning to see if it is just a stuck fermentation.

Do you have any yeast nutrient and or energizer in the recipe, can you post the recipe?

7 lemons
7 1/2 water
1/4 tsp tannin
1 tsp nutrient
1 campden
wait 24 hours add 71b1122 yeast
I added yeast 4/1 with sg at 1.085 and rechecked sg on 4/4 1.090

I added a yeast starter yesterday and doesnt appear it is working either. The temp is 72.

I am starting a yeast starter with ec1118 to see if that will crank it up. Any other suggestions?

How are you doing this yeast starter? Try making the starter and slowly add wine to the starter and then add back to wine. I also would stir up the must to help get rid of any sulfite that still might be residing in there and preventing fermentation. Do you have any energizer, if so add 1/2 tsp.

Ok I made another starter with the 71b1122 and it flopped as well. So I made a starter with some ec1118 and it cranked up. I guess I got a bad package of 71b1122. I will let you know how this progresses.

The ec1118 has done a great job. Just moved over to glass yesterday. I think the 71b might have not been good. I am going to try it on another batch to see. Thanks everyone for your help.

Latest posts

Back