A table grape experience

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm still in the learning process,
so what I understand there are times you want to MLF, so you don't sorbate at all.
And there are times you don't want MLF, so you do sorbate and it better be enough.
What is usually the deciding factore to do MLF or not?

so what I understand there are times you want to MLF, so you don't sorbate at all.
And there are times you don't want MLF, so you do sorbate and it better be enough.

Sorbate and MLF combined can result in an off, geranium, smell. AFAIK, the best way to prevent MLF is to keep the SO2 (aka meta, aka sulphite) high enough.

Sorbate and MLF combined can result in an off, geranium, smell. AFAIK, the best way to prevent MLF is to keep the SO2 (aka meta, aka sulphite) high enough.

That's correct. Sorbate does nothing to inhibit MLF. Sufficient sulfite levels are needed to prevent MLF. There are also commercial enzymes available to block MLF.

MLF is supposed to smooth out wines that are harsh due to malic acid content. Whether or not you want MLF depends on the grapes and style of wine you're after.

When I am getting ready to sorbate, I ask myself if this would taste good bubbly...if the answer is yes, I always bubble a couple/few bottles (no sorbate or sulfite) and drink it < 1year old. I save those for special occassion. I use Wade's sparkling wine directions and a raincoat.:h

Latest posts

Back