WineXpert A stirring question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cindyjo

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
I am getting ready for the stirring portion of my Pinot Grigio. I bought my mix-stir for my last batch and I am ready to put it to use. I thought I had read somewhere that you should not form a vortex with it because things would not get mixed right but I have also read that a votex is good to drive off the CO2. Which is it?? Sorry if this has been covered in previous posts. Thanks for your help
Cindy

Here is what we discusseda while back and one point to remember is to go easy at first so you don't get the dreaded wine volcano.

When degassing I find it best to start and stop repeatedly and also reverse direction and avoid creating a vortex.

This quote from Funky Fish sums it up well:

"My two cents: You do not want to form a vortex (tornado) in your wine when degassing. Why? The CO2 is driven out of suspensionat the low pressure areas behind the blades of the mix-stir. The best way to maximize the low pressure area is then the blade is moving at a different speed than the liquid. If you are mixing at a near-constant speed in one direction to form a vortex, then that means the liquid is moving at a speed closer to the mix-stir's speed. Which means that you are getting less pressure differential across the blade (and less CO2 out).

So even the the vortex looks cool, it's not as effective for driving off CO2 (and may even aerate the wine, which is not desirable).Edited by: masta

I degassed my Pinot Noir today. After alternating stirring with the SS stirrer for over ten minutes total and still getting gas I used my vacuum pump. I got about 4 times more gas off with the pump in half the time.

Masta's points are correct. When I first started I would fire the drill up in one direction and let er rip. The first kit I made (also a Pinot Grigio) still had CO2 in it even after all the stirring.

One other thing to add is to remember to try to bring the temperature of the wine up before you degas. It will help release the CO2 easier. I try to get the temp of the wine over 70 degrees.

Smurfe

My drill rotates both ways. I stir, adjust and reverse stir to get the turbulence needs to drive out the gas.

Guess what next month's featured article will be about? May have something to do with the toy of the month as well.

HMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, maybe degassing?
smiley2.gif

Latest posts

Back