A Marriage Of Honey & Limes

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waldo

Reaction score
This turned out to be one of those that you wish you had made 6 gallon or more instead of one. I will be bottling this one gallon batch in the morning and will be starting a 5 gallon batch very soon.
Here is the label I have designed for this one.

limemead.jpg

Waldo, sounds very interesting. Let us know how it is recieved and the description of the taste. I made a JMAOMead from some of the honey my Dad sent to me of which you had also. I work with a guy who goes to the Renassiance Festival and he wants to buy some from me. I gave him a sample and I guess it beats all the mead they have tried in the past. So It has been in the carboy for many months and will soon bottle it for all the Wenches and Lords and Ladies and Wizards and Fairies and Elves of the Texas Renassiance Festiaval. Edited by: rgecaprock

I have been thinking of making a lime mead, actually a Mojito Mead with lime and spearmint since the Mojito seems to be the fad and rad drink right now. I know I like them. HMM, this might just work.

Waldo,

Got home this evening and remembered I had a chillin bottle of Lime Mead in the fridge.....got it out first thing and it is everything I imagined it to be. Almost like drinking a refreshing lime ade with a kick to it. And I'm wondering how it gets the very peachy almost pink color to it. Waldo it is great and I'm saving about a 4th cup to pour on my baked chicken tomorrow. If you want something good pour some of your mead on chicken while it is baking. Way better than any bbq sauce.
Waldo, It is a mighty fine wine and I'm so impressed that I will want to try that one myself. It is a summer mead all they way!!!!!

Thank you again.....need to bring it to WS2009Edited by: rgecaprock

Smurfe,

I have some fragrant spearmint growing outside. I'm going to put a sprig in Waldo's Mead and see how it is. You have a good idea there. Would you leave some of the leaves whole in there for effect??!!! I'll be looking foward to seeing how it is going for you!!!

Ramona

After that Marriage of the Honey and Lime......I'm ready for a Honeymoon!!!!

Waldo, I made three batches awhile back, lime, orange, and lemon. I do think the lime will be a fav. Great label too!

rgecaprock said:
Smurfe,

I have some fragrant spearmint growing outside. I'm going to put a sprig in Waldo's Mead and see how it is. You have a good idea there. Would you leave some of the leaves whole in there for effect??!!! I'll be looking foward to seeing how it is going for you!!!

Ramona

Ramona, I don't think I would leave the leaves in after fermentation for effect as they would look just plain nasty. If I were to add the mint to fermentation, I would remove after fermenting, filter and serve as normal with a fresh, whole leaf in the glass for visual effect.I have been wondering though if it wouldn't be better to just use a muddler and muddle the leaves in the glass and then pour the mead in the glass just like making a Mojito. I really have no idea how many mint leaves to add to a 5 gallon batch.

Waldo,

Do you happen to have your recipe handy for this one?

- Jim

My recipe was:
*3lbs light honey
1 Campden tablet
1-1/2 tsp Yeast Nutrient
1/2 tsp Yeast Energizer
Juice from 2 Limes
*Zest from 2 Limes
1 pk Cotes Des Blancs Yeast

I grated the zest from the two limes, put it in a tea strainer thenI heated my honey, skimming foam off as it formed. After foaming had ended I added the juice and zest of the limes and let simmer for about another 5 minutes.
I le this cool down, added to primary with water to bring level to 1 gallon plus about2 cups and added Yeast Nutrient and Energizer.
Ithen added the Campden tab and let it set for about 12 hours.
I made a yeast starter and then pitched it to the must.

Waldo, I went back a few threads and found this recipe. :)

Instead of using a yeast starter for the must, can I use a packaged yeast?

You can try. I usually make it a habit to use a starter on meads as sometimes they are a booger to get going

Waldo, going to try the lime mead recipe. yeast starter is taking the yeast and dissolving it in some warm water, correct?

How much "zest" for the lime? No lime rinds in the jug like the orange mead?

Waldo, you had a * on the zest of lime. Did you get alot of zest from the 2 limes? And you did not put lime slices in the jug like we did the ancient orange?

Not that I've done this one before, but I'd have to say just the juice, no rinds. If you put the rinds then you're gonna get very bitter.

Fo my starters I use abut 1/4 tsp sugar anda good pinch of yeast nutrient in the warm water. once that gets going good I will slowly add some of the must to the starter ( 2-3 tablespoons at a time) over a period of 24-36 hrs and then pitch it
You are correct gaudet. Just use the green zest from the rinds. ot the rinds themselves

Latest posts

Back