WineXpert A complaint....

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rexmor

Reaction score
The bag cap remover SHOULD BE IN THE BASIC PACKAGE....just spilled I don't know how much concentrate while being as careful as I could be. Hopefull it won't be so much that the wine turns out badly.

I think the remover was one of the first things I purchased after starting my initial 2 kits. Have not started a 3rd yet but I am sure that it will be much easier than a butter knife.

Steve

Rexmor,

Sorry to hear about the spill. After all the caterwallin' on the cap from this forum and the praise that was given the removal tool, I purchased thetool along with my first kit and I was very pleasedwithhow easy it removed the cap. Hope the wine comes out.

I must admit it was a miracle I didn't cut myself trying to cut those caps off till I bought a bag de-capper!

I only have one, but I'm going to send it too my friend after reading this post.

I have sent my complaintto Wine Expert more than once about this even though I have a couple of them. I think they should be in every kit as well as the WE labels and shrinks for a complete package. Even if you didn't use the labels, I still think they should be there since they do make them.

Smurfe

I've had some slight spills even with the tool. Could just be me but the pouring method they suggest isn't very practical.

DrtDoctor

I used the decapper for the first time recently. (Got it in my goodie bag at Winestock!) It's so much easier! I have trouble handling the box, due to size and weight vs my size and weight! When I started the Stag's Leap I set the box on a chair, removed the cap, and leaving the box on the chair for support, poured the concentrate into the bucket. That was much easier than trying to hold the box and control everything.

I made a large mess with my Stags Leap as well. This was the first kit that the flap on the top of the box where the hand hold punch out is. It tore away as I was starting my pour into the bucket. Thank goodness the box landed on the bucket, if it had hit the floor, the kit would of been toast. I only slipped about a cup of juice the way it was.

Smurfe
smiley1.gif

I - or we - always pull the bag out of the box. I use a large flat head screwdriver to lift of the cap and we both pour rinse and pour into the primary. I do need my wife for this process (she makes an excellent cellar rat - although I don't think she likes that title used inthe wine industry). I think it is more sure handed than the box method. Never spilt more than a couple drops in 15 kits - knock on wood!

Like everyone else, seems like I, too, have spilled a little with some catastrophe! BUT, in a pinch, I've found an old-fashioned "church key" or bottle-opener works wonders! Not the punch-pointy end, but the one for bottle caps. Itneatly and gently lifts the plastic lid, just like the $4 dollar kind!

Now, if they could fix those hand-holds to keep from tearing -- but I guess that's a WHOLE 'nother topic! Be warned, Rexmor! As Smurfe says, they will tear out in a heartbeat! Just know there's more than the one way you've already found, to spill juice!
smiley36.gif

My advise: get a bag de-capper or bottle opener and pull the bag out of the box and if needed ask for help. I like others struggled with getting the caps off and buying a de-capper will be the best 3 bucks you spent!

I haveV-Vessel which is mounted to the wall and when making kits in it I have to lift the kit up 5 foot off the floor and pour into a funnel held by my darling wife. I haven't made a kit in it for a while and use itmainly for filtering wine/mead.

Try holding up a 15L kit while standing on a stool and hitting that funnel after testing a few wines from the cellar!
smiley5.gif

My customers have spoken and I have heard. The bag de-capper is now included in every starter package that comes with a wine ingredients kit.

It was not included previously due to cost. My starter packages are already the most complete and comprehensive on the internet and, as a result, more expensive. I left the de-capper out to keep the cost down and Ilisted it separatelyat $2.99, well below everyone else's $4.50+ price. Since I am now including it in the starter packages without increasing the price, the price of the bag de-capper will go up to $3.99 effective July 1, 2006. If you don't have one, get one before the price increase goes into effect.

That is great George and truly appreciated but it is still something that Wine Expert should put in their kits. They can't cost them over a buck. (Buck twenty Canadian
smiley17.gif
) While I realize once you have one you have one but to me, if I was manufacturing and selling a complete kit I would include this as well as the labels and shrinks.
smiley2.gif

It is no different really lets say from when I buy a metal shelf for the garage. They will come with all the nuts and bolts to put them together. I have tons of hardware laying around my garage or could trot to the hardware store to get the needed materials. Why is this any different?
smiley5.gif

But then again,I guess you need the fermenter, carboys and the such to make the kit so I guess I am really harping over a trivial matter and hey, I already have a couple of them so why am I griping?
smiley36.gif

Smurfe
smiley1.gif

This is the greatest tool ever invented (from a man who knows tools). Everyone should have one and adding it to the beginners kit is a great idea George.

Raising your price however and still making us pay less than anywhere else I have to think about.....
smiley36.gif

The reason the bag de-capper, labels, caps and corks are not included has to do with cost and personalizing your bottles. Winexpert is trying to keep the cost down and allowing the wine maker to decide how much they want to spend on their wines. The bag de-capper is not cheap and would increase the kit sales price by as much as $5.00. In addition, you only really need one.

The other items are more to a personal preference. I offer free labels and less than 1/3rd of my customers request them. They either want to design their own or just hand write what is in the bottle or choose to not label at all. The same is true for the shrink wraps. My wife loves them and I can do without them.

Remember, the bottom line is that this is a hobby and creativity is part of the fun.

Yeah, I know, I just need something to gripe about. Not much going on around here that has set me off so I have to take it out on someone. I am just trying to look out for the poor little man is all!
smiley36.gif

Smurfe
smiley1.gif

Personally, I'd rather save $5 - $7 bucks per kit and not have labels, capsules, or a bag decapper. And, based on George's statistics, so would the majority of people.

Back