A back sweetening question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paubin

Reaction score
This question is mostly for Wade I supose. When using juice as a back sweetener. Especially if you heat to concentrate has anyone ever had trouble with a pectin haze. Does it sound like an idea to use some pectin enzyme to clear this prior to adding to your wine to avoid this potential problem.

Pete

I did with both my Muscadine and Plum Pete. It definately made a difference for me.

The only problem I've had with adding juices to sweeten back were the
ones that were pulp like the pear nectar. and I dont think anything
could have cleared that up. Waldo added his face backin, Yea.

I've back sweetened with a frozen juice concentrate and haven't had any pectin problems (yet). I usually try to back sweeten when I stabilize (ie before fining and/or filtering).

I like to sweeten with white grape concentrate. If using in a bland wine, the extra tartaric acid helps.

I dont know but anything you need to know, someone will answer I'm sure of that.

I reduced a gallon of juice to a half gallon using heat, then added sugar to the juice, then eased it into the wine little by little to taste. So far it hasn't effected the clarity of the 6.5 gallons at all.

Does pectic enzyme remain present in the wine after fermentation? If yes, how long and to what degree?

I backsweetened a cherry wine with Cherry Concentrate and it clouded it up a bunch. Given enough time in the carboy, it would have cleared on it's own, but I bottled it and the bottles are dusted very bad.

What I was thinking of doing was this:
1) After wine is cleared, filtered and completely stabilized,
2) Add juice that I have heat condenced and treated with a little pectin enzyme and campden.
3) Give the treated concentrate 24 hours and rack off and sediment if needed.
4) Add the condenced juice to wine to taste.

After all the time I've waited on my spiced apple I'd hate to see it cloud up or get some pectin haze. The last taste I had made me very happy and this is one that I dont want to have any sediment in. It's just that pretty and mighty good tasting.

Someone let me know what they think of my procedure.

Thanks, Pete

Are you talking about natural clearing? I have never tried the apple
juice as a back sweetener. I used the conditioner on that one. I dont
know but I just suspect sometring about the apple juice being one of
the ones that would cloud things up. Any ever use apple juice to
sweeten?

I back sweetened with apple juice and yes it did cloud it. I bulk aged for about 3 months, and it never did clear. I finally bottled it cloudy. I did not heat it or anything, just found some natural apple juice and poured it in. I will not do that again without rendering it... I did not know about super klear, or I would have tried that...

bmorosco said:
Is there somewhere with this information on how to back sweeten??

THIS IS FROM Jack's WEBSITE

"Syphon wine to a clean secondary. The wine will be extra-dry, SG will be about 0.990. Back sweeten the wine to taste with White sugar. SG 1.000 for semi-dry wine. SG 1.010 for sweet wine."

I back sweeten to 4% by volume with my sugar syrup. This is a taste preference. I just did a concord Welches to 10% by volume for a friend who likes sweet kosher wines.
My sister in law says it tastes like a lumbrusco. I wouldn't be able to verify that.
I prefer the by volume method because i like using percentages and my corning beakers to test .

BTW Mr Morosco.
I believe we are both working on a raspberry batch made from concentrate.
It should age for quite some time according to theDESTRUCTIONS on the can.
I would enjoy hearing about your progress. Ours just went under lock yesterdayEdited by: scotty

Scotty,

"Ours just went under lock yesterday"

Does that mean you won't be able to sample it from time to time, or do you have the key to the lock?
smiley2.gif

appleman said:
Scotty,

"Ours just went under lock yesterday"

Does that mean you won't be able to sample it from time to time, or do you have the key to the lock?
smiley2.gif
I have 3 gallons of sangeovese under lock for about 3 months. I guess if i get the urge to snitch anything that will just have to do. I had company for dinner yesterday and we drank the rest of the gallon of LE DUKE ((welces brewed with a P.A. of 18% and backsweetened to 10% by volume)).
I believe that i will no longer do one gallon batches because it really wasnt clear enough. Ill blame the batch size instead of rushing the product.

Latest posts

Back