"99 Bottles of wine on the wall"

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Right now, I have about 30 bottles (mostly of one variety though) and have 4 carboys either ready to bottle or aging, but 2 of those are not mine.

I'm still fairly new at this so still giving away quite a bit to curious friends and relatives, but that's slowing down and I really would like to have 100 to 200 a year from now. We'll see. :dg

Right now, I have about 30 bottles (mostly of one variety though) and have 4 carboys either ready to bottle or aging, but 2 of those are not mine.

I'm still fairly new at this so still giving away quite a bit to curious friends and relatives, but that's slowing down and I really would like to have 100 to 200 a year from now. We'll see. :dg

ummmm I'll be your curious friend :ib

Wade,

I like those wine racks...nice and simple. Did you buy or build those? I'm thinking about building something similar for my wine "closet". Could you tell me where you got them, or if you built them...details on the construction.

I built those from scrap wood O get from work as they are rip offs from stair treads. They are white oak strips being 1 1/16" x 1 1/2". I never make plans on doing stuff unless its for a side job so that people can get an idea of what I will make for them but I did take some pics with a tape measure alongside for a few other people who wanted some info on these. The rack spacing is 4 3/4". Each rack is 40 1/2" tall and then stacked 1 on top of another cause I cant get anything longer then 4' out of work for free so I just built them 1 on 1. I made them about 4' long depending on how much room I had in that area and divided by 2 if under 8'. Just so you know if using my design you will want to scallop an area of front or back rail so that the bottles dont roll or you can do as I did and get little cabinet door rubber bumpers that are self adhesive and stick them on the rail in the back to prevent the bottles from rolling, mine are clear so you dont see them and very small.
Before I post these pics heres another idea to throw around as to making yourself. If I had seen this Id probably have made these out of wood using a Hole saw or big Forstner bit.
http://www.vynebar.com/home/

If I were to do it again using this design I would shorten the distance between rails for different size bottles. These were designed to fit any size bottles including magnums which fit perfectly but since most of my bottles are standard there is a lot of wasted space which I really need now especially where I store the 375 dessert bottles that are even skinnier.

Rack dimension 1.jpg

Rack dimension 2.jpg

Rack dimension 3.jpg

Wade,

Perfect! Thanks for the details...exactly what I needed to see. Since I don't have access to free oak 1x2's I was actually considering ripping down kiln-dried doug fir studs, easing the edges a bit, and building out of that.

Yeah, I noticed your spacing was larger than needed and assumed it was for magnums. I have three walls to work with, so I think I might go with magnum-sized spacing on one wall, and tighter spacing on the others.

While the vynebar design is really slick, I just don't see how you'd implement that in a practical way to take advantage of space. Were you thinking of building several "columns" out from the wall? It just seems like that design is more suited to aesthetics as far as displaying wine than maximizing storage.. The thing I like about your design is that if I ever sell this house, I can remove every other front rail, lay down some plywood, shoot it all semi-gloss white and its closet shelving!

Dave

Quite low at this time. Maybe 125 or so. Usually much much higher. For the first time in a long time my primaries and secondaries are all empty at once. I'm eagerly waiting for fruit to ripen to fill everything back up.

Rod you rock :r That is an awesome display of your growing inventory. Mine is being depleted kinda fast this summer but thats a good thing as I have a lot perking!

Wade if you don't remember the pictures of Rod's room when he was making it, you'll have to check it out. He made his rack out of steel he turned on a lathe and welded together. Actually you did see it because you guys talked about custom stairs!

This brings up a good point. Do any of you rotate your stock as time and bottles go by? Maybe newer bottles on top and older towards the bottom so you would move stock down (using gravity) easier than up.

I am constantly rearranging my stock as it is depleted. I like to keep like wines together so as one starts to get low I will move it to a smaller rack or to a section with other wines with only a few bottles left.

This brings up a good point. Do any of you rotate your stock as time and bottles go by? Maybe newer bottles on top and older towards the bottom so you would move stock down (using gravity) easier than up.

Yes, that's what I do - keep older bottles at the bottom and add newer ones closer to the top - mist types at the very top. Makes it easier to find what I'm looking for.

Back