7 days !

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rita36

Reaction score
Started my fermentation 7 days ago and it had a sg of 1.1. Now it's 1.016. Is it time to put into secondary ? And it's dry and I like it sweet so do I add sugar now ?

Yes, put it in secondary.

No don't add sugar yet.

Wait till it stops fermenting, (same sg for minimum 4 days) then add potauuism sorbate and k-meta.

Then you can sweeten to taste or bulk age and sweeten later since aging changes the flavor some.

I would let it go a little bit further before you transfer it to secondary. I usually wait until the SG quits moving very much ( usually <1.00 SG) and then I transfer it. Also, I would do as dralarms advices and wait before you add sugar back to it.

Ok. I was wondering if it would still ferment in the secondary to a 1.00

Also I wasn't able to get a acid kit before I started fermentation is it too late to worry about the acidity now ?

Not too late, but I would wait untill fermentation finishes. Also, nothing stops your must from fermenting in the secondary. You just have a higher risk of stalling out due to racking off the yeast cake.

Ohhhh...ok. I'll take the acidity when it finishes. Checked sg just now and it's at 1.06.

Lol ! On the video thing. Maybe I shoukd have explained more in the opening huh ? But it caught ur attention

I have Camden tablets . The store I go to says they have no k-meta . So I'll have to order them

I agree with Seth, I wouldn't rack it until the SG is below 1.000, you'll have a greater chance of a stuck fermentation when racked early.

Thanks. Also,what should I use when I rack to secondary and I alit of head space left ? I don't want to use water because it will knock down my alcohol level. Is it ok to use a bottled wine or is that cheating ?

Thanks. Also,what should I use when I rack to secondary and I alit of head space left ? I don't want to use water because it will knock down my alcohol level. Is it ok to use a bottled wine or is that cheating ?

Using a cheap commercial wine to top off is not considered cheating -- it is considered prudent and effective. Go for it.

Latest posts

Back