WineXpert 5Gal Island Mist

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steviepointer

Reaction score
was talking to a local about the next Island Mist kit I want to do. I told him that I add 4lbs of sugar to them, to bump up the ABV (target initial SG of 1.080ish).

He said, a better way of doing this, is to instead, only dilute to 5gal (instead of 6gal). Still go for that target SG of 1.080 (which I'm assuming will now require less sugar), but, because you only dilute to 5gal, you get a much better flavor. Sure, you produce 1 gal less of wine, but he said it is well worth it.

Has anyone tried that before? If so, what are your thoughts? I was about to try this on a Green Apple Riesling kit.

Thanks!

Have not tried it this way, wondering what that deos to the acidity balance though as thats quite a but of a difference in dilution.

This is something I have heard of other folks doing also. The only thing to keep in mind these kits were perfected ingredient and chemical wise for six gallons. If you do this, please keep us posted. I have also heard of doing this with the smaller red kits.

My only concern is that this is my first GA reisling kit. So, I don't have a baseline to compare it too.

However, if someone wants to send me one, I'll make up one batch in 6gal, and the ohter in 5gal, and let you know how it turns out. :dg

Are you choosing the kits because they're less expensive or because of the wacky flavors? If it's price based, making a lower volume increases your cost per bottle meaning you could likely afford a more expensive kit. If it's for the wacky flavors, knock yourself out.

A combination of both. I want to experiment, and try some of these different kits (flavors).

Experimenting is cool. Unfortunately, I've only done it on one kit!

I guess it comes down to if you want 5/6 of the wine that you would normally get by making this kit. Never hurts to try though!

I just bought the IM green apple riesling and white cranberry pinot gris. After my sister in law tasted the IM strawberry white merlot I just finished she wanted me to make the above 2 for her wedding.
One of my local wine shops mentioned the same thing to me...use 5 gal instead of 6, but I think I'll stick with 6 gallons. I am going to add 1/4 of the f-pack along with simple syrup to start, shooting for SG of around 1.075-1.08. For the white merlot I used 2.75lbs sugar to get the SG at 1.067, it finished to 0.992. I followed the directions to a tee except I only added 2/3 of the f-pack and used super-kleer. After the 2 weeks of clearing I added about 4 more Tbs of f-pack and I racked to avoid the sediment for bottling and let it sit for another week to see how the taste has developed. The final SG was 1.006 after roughly 2/3+ f-pack and 1.5 bottles of store bought white merlot top up. I'm glad I increased the ABV or I think it would be very bland tasting...I would have gone with OG of 1.08 if I do it over again. The kit was really for my wife, she prefers sweeter whites, I drink whatever, but even she thought the sweetness level was just right.

Pomegranate Zinfandel

I start a Pom Zin yesterday it is my first kit. I split it in half, 3 gallons I followed the directions and had a Starting S.G. of 1.052 the other 3 gallons I added 2 pounds of sugar to a S.G. of 1.075. I used Lalvin EC-1118 on the second one, I didn't want to try and split the Premier Cuvee packet in half and didn't have a second packet. Both had a pH of 3.4 I didn't check the acid. This morning the one with the EC-1118 is going strong but the other is just starting. I was wondering one thing, the instructions don't call for stirring twice a day like I do for my fruit wines when in the primary, should I stir?

Splitting the packet in half would have worked fine just so you know but another $1 is also no big deal at all right?

I just mixed the Island Mist Green Apple Riesling and have it sitting here waiting for yeast addition, I did add simple syrup (3lbs+ total sugar) and about 10-15% of the F-pack to get it up to 1.078 SG. I had a couple questions that just came up on this one. My last island mist kit (Straw White Merlot) had a starting acid level of like 0.68. I did not test the ph. I just checked this one and it is only 0.35%, again, I did not test the ph...need to buy some strips. I am going to let it sit for an hour and keep stirring occasionally, I doubt that will affect the acid level though. Has anyone checked the total acid level on their Green Apple Riesling kit?

Ignore my last question....I retested later in the day, not sure if that made a difference, or if my first test was off. But my acid came in at 0.625%, so much better.

I dont test kits, hey are well balanced by the manufacturers as they have spent countless hours getting these just right. I do bump up the abv to about 10% though.

I agree with that Wade. I guess it was more of a check to see where things were at so as I make more wines in the future I have an idea of what is normal based on how these kits turn out.

Latest posts

Back